Tank Food Party

Sph2sail

Well, I need tank food.  I would like to host a tank food party.  The theory is to get lots of this nasty fish guts stuff and let everyone walk away with about 6 months worth of the stuff for their freezers.

This way, only ONE blender gets stunk up... only ONE area is nasty, etc., but we ALL benefit.

This needs some contributions:

MichaelG, what is your recipe?

WAMAS folks, where do we get all of the ingredients per Michael's recipe?

Participants:  sign up for ingredients and bring them for the party!

I would like to do this within the next 3-4 weeks, as summer is coming and vacations will get in the way.  What weekend date works for people?

Any takers?

Steve

Not to answer for Michaelg, but here is my recipe:

1 fish fillet (preferably white fish)

10-14 large shrimp

oysters

clams

3 different types of flake foods (formula 1+2+3)

spirulina flakes

about 1/2 cup of specttrum pellet food

2-3 sheets of nori

3-4 squirts of nultivitamins for children

2-3 squirts of selcon

60-80 cc of garlic extract

half teaspoon of shreded garlic

one large krill frozen pack

one large brine shrimp packet

one large mysis shrimp packet

one frozen pack of blood worms

one frozen pack of octopus

3-4 tiny spoons of ESV freeze dryed plankton

just about anything else I may find or have on hand

The best thing to do is to go to the fish market and get all the fresh stuff at once and bring it home. The frozen foods can be obtained in the LFS. This stuff will make thick mud and will last well over 6 months when frozen. I suggest you freeze it in thin sheets rather than stuff the zip lock bags because it will take forever to thaw out if you don't. Good luck.

Alberto

What about Golden Pearls?  How 'bout some Cyclopeze?  add that in for fun?

Any Websites to buy in bulk from for a larger order?  Just use LFS?

s

Most mail order places that you can buy the frozen foods cheaper would require such a large order to offset the overnight shipping that you are talking about massive poundage. Definately not worth it.

Last spring, I drove to thatpetplace in PA for their annual show/sale. The manufacturer reps were there and I got some stuff discounted. Even then, to make a real difference I would ahd to ahve bought over $180-200 worth of frozen fish food. Not going to hapen, hence the reason I amke my own food. Not to mention it is actually much better I think.

I've never used cyclopeeze or golden pearls. That is why I don't add it.

3-4 squirts of nultivitamins for children

I have a question about this ingredient.  I know my kids vitamins contain aspartamine (nutrasweet) and many other colors and fillers.  Is this a wise thing to be putting into a fishtank food mix?

mc

My recipe is pretty close to albertos.  I don't add any flake food.  Only sheets of nori.  The flake I use for in between feedings.  All the fresh and frozen ingredients I pick up at the oriental market which has a great fish department and is cheap.  I use Vita-chem and selco for suppliments.  Sprirulina powder as well.  I usually use saltwater from tank and green water to thin it out enough to blend.  Brine shrimp and mysis would be a waste to blend, but fine to hand mix into the final product.  I keep it seperate though and brine shrimp I hatch so is live.  See Eric's recipe which I finally got him to put up in his forum at reefcentral.  I made quite a lot of comments in that thread.  Glenn probably has enough golden pearls to 20 batches.  I know I do.  I use whole shrimp, 1-2 whole squid, oysters, mussels, clams, "sushi eggs" aka fish roe, and will be adding the cyclopeeze in the next batch.  I will make it if I can and will bring my blender.  Depending on the number of people, you may want more than one :)  Y'up its going to stink.  Maybe everyone can take a dip in your pool after so they smell like chlorine instead of dead fish :)))))

While alberto's recipe looks great as an overall food, seems like it would be a bit pricey when done.

This weekend is definately out and next (meeting weekend) probably as well.  Other than that I am pretty open for the rest of the summer.  I do need food again so would be happy to join in.

Do you put any DT's phytoplankton in the food?

I think I agree that flake is an "extra."  My fish love the personal attention of flake food or sinking pellets.  Makes them more attentive when I'm around looking in the tank!  I guess through the glass I sorta look GOOD to them :p

s

I also recall some discussion of using WHOLE fish, not a fillet.  The idea being that the fins/bones are good for the overall tank diet.

??

s

Y'up its going to stink.  Maybe everyone can take a dip in your pool after so they smell like chlorine instead of dead fish :)))))

While alberto's recipe looks great as an overall food, seems like it would be a bit pricey when done.

This weekend is definately out and next (meeting weekend) probably as well.  Other than that I am pretty open for the rest of the summer.  I do need food again so would be happy to join in.

Michael,  I would really like to try to do it before the meeting.  Then we could bring bags of stinky stuff to the meeting and raffle it?

So far, good contributions to the recipe discussion.

WHO's IN to participate?  I think I hear:

ReefMon

Any others?

s

I can do it one night next week I suppose but this really is a saturday project.  It takes about an hour and another hour to clean, plus time spent shopping.  I have some ingredients leftover in the freezer- I think a couple squid some oysters, and fish roe.  Nori in the cupboard.  I'd then need to make a dry ice pickup on saturday.  One problem is the Mrs and me taking up a large chunk of the freezer!

Confirming for all.  Starting at my house at 11am.  From there, we go to the fish market and we all buy stuff the fresh fish elements.  From there, we go back and grind it up.

I've listed what I have and what we need from the non-fish market stuff.

I can supply freezer bags.

Everyone goes home stinky.

I must be done by 4pm, as I'm going to DC United game at RFK!

1 fish (preferably white fish), not boned/skinned

10-14 large shrimp whole, not skinned

oysters

clams

Formula 1-2-3 flakes I have formula 2.  anyone have the others?

spirulina flakes I have some, but need more

about 1/2 cup of specttrum pellet food ain't got.  anyone?  I have NutraMax sinking pellets which are pretty good

2-3 sheets of nori I have this

3-4 squirts of Vita-chem ain't got. anyone?

2-3 squirts of selcon I have this

60-80 cc of garlic extract ain't got.  anyone?

"sushi eggs" aka fish roe

half teaspoon of shreded garlic

Cyclop-eeze I have half a block frozen.  need more.

Golden Pearls need 'em.  what sizes to folks have?

one large krill frozen pack ain't got.  anyone?

one large brine shrimp packet ain't got.  anyone?

one large mysis shrimp packet I have a large block frozen

one frozen pack of blood worms need some of this

one frozen pack of octopus

Tahitian Blend

3-4 tiny spoons of ESV freeze dryed plankton can we use DTs?

just about anything else I may find or have on hand

Here's Erics recipe:

As promised, here is my recipe for coral chow - with a bit of a preface.

I rarely have or use all of the ingredients listed, and I don't think it will make a difference over the long term. I also use this, or a variation of it, for my homemade fish food (I leave the fish food chunker and add various algae). Basically, I either use what is left over from the last round of food-making, or I go to a few stores and get whatever they might have at the time. I feed this to the tank at night, generally, and would add that for some of the ingredients, I have no idea if they have any specific role. Its just what I have done before. I have also changed a bit with some other foods now available (since I have written this last time)

I try to get a mix of particle sizes involved to accomodate not just all sizes of polyps, but also feed other inverts that filter feed.

Fresh seafood:

Some combination of the ingredients below and it makes up a relatively small percent of the total - maybe 10-20%?

shrimp (I squeeze the heads and usually use the "meat" in the fish food)

oysters - blend well and may have Vibriostatic properties

various other shellfish (mussels, clams, periwinkles, etc. - the bloodier, the better...live is great (shucking sucks but gives a good final product)

Fish roe (sometimes available at Asian markets)

Frozen foods

This makes up perhaps 20-30% of the mix - some are from an aquarium store, some from the grocer

Artemia - adult

Artemia nauplii (baby brine shrimp) (enriched, if possible)

Mysid shrimp

Sea urchin roe

Flying fish roe

Dried Aquarium Foods

this makes up the majority of my mix - probably 40%

Golden Pearls - all sizes available, but a majority of the smallest size

Cyclop-Eze

VibraGro

Powdered marine flake

Phytoplankton

makes up maybe 2% of mix or less?

Tahitian Blend (I use DT's seperately)

Supplements

makes up maybe 2-5% of mix?

Super Selco ( a big squeeze)

Sea Green Vitamin supplements - various brands, powdered, from Whole Foods market

I have also been known to add Echinacea capsules, the skins of colorful vegetables and fruits, various pigment complexes of carotenoids, etc. and/or antioxidants from Whole Foods market.

In terms of preparation, I puree the solid seaoods, mix in the frozen ingredients, soak the dry/powdered ingredients in the wet ingredients, combine them all together and let them sit for a few hours, and then freeze them into small flats in ziplocs in the freezer. I usually wind up with about 50.00 in foods per batch and make about a gallon or so of food that lasts a couple or more months.

I'll bring some ESV freeze dryed plankton, Tahitian Blend and Golden Pearls and some other stuff!

We should look to see if we can find any Echinacea capsules.

Oh boy was that stinky.

Gatortailale and Reefmon joined me to grind up this stuff.  Started actual work around 11:45 and we finished by 3pm.

We have 8 baggies that will be for sale from the club at the summer meeting!

Pictures coming...

s

Here's the sort-a kind-a recipe we ended up with:

Forgot to add the Spirolina and Garlic, but gads, there's lots of good stuff in this mix.  Can always add those two as needed mixed w/flake food.

Sushi anyone?

1 whole mackeral

2 chunks of rockfish

1 octopus

10-14 large shrimp no heads/tails, partially skinned

12 oysters

12 oz mussels

8-10 scallops

2/3 bag chopped roasted seaweed

1/2 small bottle Selcon

"sushi eggs" aka fish roe

Quarter block Cyclop-eeze

Golden Pearls

Freeze dried krill

8 large cubes brine shrimp

Quarter block large frozen mysis shrimp (also from brineshrimpdirect but it's not on their website)

Tahitian Blend

3-4 tiny spoons of ESV freeze dryed plankton

1/8th bottle DTs

So sorry to miss the "party" but we were out of town.  We are very interested in getting some, though. Did you freeze it in sheets so that it is breakable to feed small tanks (75 and 35)?

B&T

Steve- want me to bring a styrofoam cooler of dry ice with me on Friday?  It will keep fine through saturday.

Yes please bring the dry ice.

Tamie, I believe the plan is to sell it at the meeting for the club's benefit.  We have eight baggies full for sale.

They are frozen in reasonably flat sheets.  Stuffing things in my freezer never allows for perfection... :p

s

That is great!  I want to buy some.   Happy to contribute for the "club's benefit."  Just wanted to get dibs on a bag!