Auto topoff - relay + float swtich

dchild

If the components get here tomorrow I could still do it this weekend - also we wouldn't need the floats to put the board together.  The units are pretty easy to build, if you know how to solder they could take <20 min, but with a bunch of us sharing irons I anticipate an hour or two.  I have 5 extra boards ($5), but only 15 sets of parts.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven,

So if the components come in, we could still meet and build the boards, just add the topoffs later, with either solder or quick connect type connections? Is this correct?

IMO, Maybe we ought to go ahead and plan to meet with everyone's time going in different directions, playoffs, etc after this weekend, might be better to get this out of the way at least! Sounds like a plan?

With those who already have their own topoffs, we can at least see firsthand how the systems will work, even if the main order doesn't arrive by then.

Howard

BTW, This is the 101st reply to this topic, wow!

Howard,

It is true that we could easily make the boards and add topoffs later.  I'm not sure you'd need to solder or quick connect those wires though - I designed screw connectors (think they are phoenix type) onto the board, so you can connect wires directly to it.

Unfortunately I do not anticipate the components arriving until Monday and I'm not sure a meeting would help unless we had the components.

Ha, I think 29 of my 30 posts have been in this thread too :p

DOH! NEVERMIND, I DO NOT HAVE THE PROPER TRANSFORMERS.

ORIGINAL:

If you still want to meet this weekend if we get the floats in, we can. When I get the kitchen pass, I take it!

I have to admit that I have all the parts/components needed to make one or two here if you want to know how to put things together and solder. Even the pheonix connectors. My relay would be different though (but I will ook for a smaller), and we'd still need the electrical boxes and outlets from Lowes.

LMK

Folks,

I apologize that i havn't been keeping up with all the posts. I just checked

the thread to see if we are gonna make it for Sunday. It appears not. I am

available for next weekend. We can still make a few units if everyone is not

going to be around.

Doug, you can drop off the stuff at my place. No issues.

Vegas, wow. Will be a good blast. Have fun.

-krish

Hi Everyone

The components were delayed and therefore not in time for today's building party.  We will reschedule for next Saturday afternoon or Sunday depending on everyones availability.  

Howard please let us know when the top off's arrive.

Jacob

10:33AM 10 January, 2005,

Do you know where your topoff switches are?

Not me either, no sign of yet!

Howard

Howard asked me to post that the topoff switches have arrived.

I couldn't guite hear him that well but I think he was mumbling something like that they were going to be his treat

or something like that!

:p

I got the components!  I assembled a board and found 2 mistakes.  First off, I ordered the wrong relay  gvl]]  They were the same color and right next to each other... the ones I have are plug-in replacements except they are 12VDC/15A.  Second, I had the fuse holders drilled 90 degrees out of sync.  This one's not a big deal as we can solder to the ends of the fuse (or jumper it).

Anyway, I am willing to order the right relays, pay for 2-day air and return these concurrently.  Everything else looks to be hooked up right (ie connecting the float switch leads gives me 5V across the relay coil, disconnecting gives me no volts).

So we are on for this Saturday.  Sorry guys.

I'm what!  :D

Ok folks, they are in and ready to go. I'm set for the get together this weekend, as long as a TV is near for the game PIT vs Jets :)

But, I might be starting a large basement remodeling project then and won't know until possibly tomorrow. IF I can't make, will at least get the unit to you guys before then.

Howard

BTW, My new CHIPOLATOR Down Draft Skimmer is now up and running and SOOOOO COOOL! Will post pics soon.

IMO, As long as either Steven, Doug or Krish (The guys in the know!) are available, I'm open so far. Sat. around 1pm would be good for me, Sunday would be even better? Either way, will get the topoffs to Jacobs on what you guys decide on if I can't make it?

Chip mentioned that he couldn't make it on Sat, that Sun is ok

Still not 100% confirmed with the remodeling as of now.

Howard

Leaving for vacation tomorrow. I stuck an iron for you guys to use in Krish's front door. Hopefully he will find it before he trips over it! Let me know things progress, and if not this weekend I will see you next.

Thanks for loaning the iron Doug.  I can do Sat at 1 or Sun at 1, but based on Chip's feedback, lets aim for Sunday at 1pm at Jacob's house (that ok with the owner ;) ), also pending the arrival of the correct relays which should be today.  I'll confirm if they arrive tonight.

Please don't plan this around me, but thanks for thinking of me.

I am clearing my schedule for a young man craming to make EAGLE SCOUT.

There are three of us helping this well deserving kid get finnished up in time before his 18th BD on the 21st.

If he needs to meet with me on Sunday that's were I'll be. This kid deserves it but you can't just give it to him either.

This is a classic example of procrastanation till the 11th hour!

Either day are good for me.

Doug, got the package. Was scared at first to pick up

not knowing who placed it there :)

My little one was thinking of Santa Claus.

-krish

11th hour for sure... My parents wouldn't let me get my license until I finished up my Eagle, otherwise I would have been there too

EAGLE ?  that was a long time ago..and yes I remember the 11th and 1/2 hour.

OK,.. SUNDAY 1;00 PM is set for the building party.

Please LMK if you need directions or home number.

Jacob

I'm good for Sunday,

Unfortunately, I lost out on a nice remodeling job, well looks like I have 3 weekends to plan for? Lets see:

archery, remodeling my place, Steelers kicking NYJ butts, make topoffs, football playoffs, building new stand and canopy for 90g, remodeling, hook up kalk reactor finally, remodeling, install carpeting, electrical, remodeling, S/S/S/S,...

Yes, that's one weekend planned.  tng

See you guys Sunday at 1pm with Topoffs, if anyone needs them sooner, I have them in my truck, just call?

Howard

OK Folks,

Chris brought up a question and I want to address it here, due to the low cost of these units and to save time in this being dragged out forever. Below is the listing that I have for the units: FINAL CONFIRMED TOTALS!

Topoffs $5 ea                Boards $13.00 ea.

Howard-4 PAID               Howard-2 PAID

Lee-4    PAID                 Lee-2 PAID

Doug-2  PAID                 Doug-0

Jacob-4 PAID                Jacob-2 PAID

Krish- 4 PAID                 Krish-2 PAID

Steven-0                      Steven-1 PAID

Chip-2 PAID                  Chip-1 PAID

Luke-2 PAID                  Luke-1 PAID

Kannan-2 PAID              Kannan-1 PAID

GaryL-4 PAID                GaryL-2 PAID

Chris-2 PAID                 Chris-1 PAID ready for p/u

Total-30                       Total-15

Howard

We will need some soldering irons, some wire clippers, and a peice of plywood.  Krish is bringing an iron loaned by doug, I will bring one, if we can get another that would be ideal.  Note that we have left out the two aspects of how to mount the boards and how to mount the switches.  I am thinking we can leave that up to individuals as the connections are pretty basic once the boards are stuffed, if you can wire an outlet then you can wire this.