15-inch long baby whale shark

Sounds like a preemie whale shark, pretty cool. My son will enjoy this. I hope it survives!

Newborn blue whales are 20' long (!)

Would that outgrow my 90?

Sounds like a preemie whale shark, pretty cool. My son will enjoy this. I hope it survives!

Newborn blue whales are 20' long (!)

Absolutely amazing...I'm hoping I could swim with one someday..

WOW!

I thought their young was much larger then 15".He has alot of growing to do.I was thinking their babies would be around 5' long.Are we sure this is the real thing here?

WOW!

I thought their young was much larger then 15".He has alot of growing to do.I was thinking their babies would be around 5' long.Are we sure this is the real thing here?

Near-term whale shark embryos have been found in-utero at lengths ranging from about 14" to about 20" so this, being in that range, is probably a newborn. That's the principle reason that they believe that this find may indicate breeding grounds nearby.

That is way cool. I hope the little bugger survives.

I agree.

A few years ago, I took my Mom & Dad back to her homeland (Okinawa) which we'd not been to in 30 years so she could visit family. While there, we visited Churami Aquarium where they have a HUGE tank where they home a couple of adult whale sharks. You can search for it on the net, but here's a picture I just found to give you some sense of how an adult compares to full-grown people.

gallery_2631296_371_29567.jpg

Whale Shark @ Churami Aquarium, Okinawa, Japan

Photo from http://www.sharkinformation.org/photo/whal...japan/84863568/

Great picture! It's hard to capture thos big tanks.

I got to swim with one years ago on our honeymoon. We are coming back from a dive in Mexico, and the skipper spotted a small one in the bay. I was lucky enough to be over the side in time to get close and hang with it briefly. I may have the only photo of a whale shark shot with a disposable camera.