Blaze's 20L frag tank build

I want to thank the many Wamas and Cmas members and local fish stores that helped me get this tank up and running. I built the tank stand myself, I got the wood cut at Home Depot to the lengths I needed and just put it together like IKEA furniture :unsure: .

P1010727.jpg

P1010724.jpg

P1010749.jpg

P1010751.jpg

P1010756.jpg

Unfortunately I got a lot done when I left my camera at work. I started the tank with sand from my main tanks fuge and water and rock from my main tank. I expected very little cycle, I actually got it up and running pretty quick.

I got the back painted and went with pvc and flex tubing for the return, it is a 1/2 inch connected to a Mag 3 for the return. Pete from BRK was a big help in getting my return put together and one of the reasons this project got completed so quickly.

The drain is 1 inch pvc and drains to the sump that has approx. 20 lbs. of LR and some cheato. There is a single Koralia nano in the tank for extra flow. I didn't think the hydor I had in the tank was enough so I am adding a 150w stealth heater, it is going in the sump tonight. I am planning on putting a Remora with a Mag 5 as the pump in the sump to provide skimming, the AC 70 is only temporary. The light is a Nova extreme 39w x 4 bulb (thanks Peacetypes6). I was going to build my own t-5 retro but I got this was a deal too good to pass up. It has one 10k 1 actinic, a giessman aquablue, and an aquaz ocean blue.

There are a few test frags in there, some kenya trees, to make sure the tank is doing fine. Tests are all reading normal params, so I am loving it so far. I placed 2 true percs from my fuge into the tank, they have been doing fine and have been eating mysis and Rod's food for the last 3 days. Some pics....

Return into tank

P1010797.jpg

Sump

P1010806.jpg

Cheato

P1010798.jpg

Returns

P1010802.jpg

tank and sump

P1010820.jpg

• 3 months later...

sorry I was running around trying to pick up some LR yesterday, I did take a few pics, give me a few minutes to upload them to photobucket.

sorry I was running around trying to pick up some LR yesterday, I did take a few pics, give me a few minutes to upload them to photobucket.

Sounds good. :clap:

I currently have 5 fish that inhabit this tank, 2 onyx percs that I got from Walt over a CMAS, a coral beauty that I got from Aquaco before he closed for renovations, a 6 line wrasse and a tailspot blenny (I love this guy) that I got at the BRK social. I have 3 shrimp that make the place home, a giant skunk cleaner, a scarlet blood shrimp, and a single very large peppermint shrimp, a bunch of nass. snails, some atrea's, some ceriths, and a single blue leg hermit. Forgive the pics, I am trying to learn how to use the camera.

Most recent FTS:

GEDC0049.jpg

GEDC0048.jpg

GEDC0076.jpg

My sump, I went for the 10 gallon to a 15 gallon and upgraded the skimmer, I have a Euroreef Cs5 something or other on there now. It is rated for tanks up to 90 gallons, so I think it can handle my 30 gallons total water volume.

GEDC0043.jpg

Random frag pics.........

GEDC0063.jpg

GEDC0066.jpg

I got these PE's from BRK but I have no idea what they are called, they have a white/pink oral disk, green mouth and light green skirt.

GEDC0064.jpg

That's a kewl little set up you have going on. Those tailspots are fun to watch. I have one in my tank.

(edited)

Looking great! But I thought you had black background?

Where did you get the black eggcrate... or did you painted it?

Edited by Boret

I cracked the one with the black background when I was trying to drill it. I purchased another tank and drilled it correctly. I decided the blue would reflect the light better. The black eggcrate came from a group buy last year sometime, I got a huge sheet, 2x4 ft.

(edited)

I like it! Nice little setup!

It good to know where some of my zoo's ended up spending their old age - and where the ones I got from you were born ;)

Edited by Sikryd

Thanks guys it is still a work in process, hopefully I will have it exactly the way I want it once I clean some of the frags out.