Retrofit reflector

Stu

I gutted an Ikea lamp in order to do a 150W HQI retrofit over my 12g nano cube. The shade is white frosted glass. I would like to install some sort of reflector, but a normal reflector won't fit in this small shade (about 9 in. across). I am thinking the best I can do is find chrome or polished sheet aluminum and adhere it to the inside of the shade. I had also heard of reflective spray paint. Anyone have any experience with this or any ideas?

gallery_2631560_569_814342.jpg

gallery_2631560_569_816210.jpg

I don't have a reflector at all; that's why I'm asking if anyone knows where I can get some sheet aluminum, or a reflector that could be cut down and fit inside.

for a 12g nano and 150W HQI is probably overkilled already.

What do you think of trying to get the retrofit going without the reflector and grows SPS if that's your plan to get this HQI going?

How long has your tank been up and running? If heading toward SPS in such a small environment, it's a difficult task to maintain a constant water parameter for it but nothing is impossible.

for a 12g nano and 150W HQI is probably overkilled already.

What do you think of trying to get the retrofit going without the reflector and grows SPS if that's your plan to get this HQI going?

How long has your tank been up and running? If heading toward SPS in such a small environment, it's a difficult task to maintain a constant water parameter for it but nothing is impossible.

It's been running for about 2 years. I have had a 70W JBJ Viper hqi clamp on light with a 14k Astralux bulb on it for the past 6 months. I am upgrading to the 150 because the 70's not getting the job done (even with the light about 3 in. above the water surface). My SPS have done okay, but not great ever since I have had the 70W on it. I have tried a few bulbs, but the Astralux has done the best. I have about 7 acro frags/ colonies in there. They grow fine/ good polyp extension, but really lose coloration under the 70. I haven't had a problem keeping the parameters stable for the SPS. Like I said, everything in the tank grows fine, but I feel the SPS needs more light intensity. That said, I think this lamp may be okay without a reflector (given the intensity of the 150), but I just wanted to see all the options.

The idea of ikea lamp converting to a retrofit lamp is very nice. Tagging along to see how to fit the HQI inside.

The only caution I'd add concerns the heat that will be generated under this particular reflector and what kind of hazard it might present as well as the impact on bulb performance (if any). The reflector you've shown may only be rated to provide adequate ventilation for 60 watts.

Great idea!

I'm looking at a Solana and neither the disco ball or PC light is what we want. I suspect I'll need to retrofit a lamp so I can't wait to see how it works and learn.

Thanks.

Thanks for the caution, Tom. I am going to mount one of the Azoo flat cooling fans on the back of the tank, so my hope is that the heat both in the tank and within the shade won't be too much for the 150. Dave, I agree with you as far as aesthetics go. In my opinion, a lot of the clamp-on lights and pendants don't look too nice (i.e. the disco ball). I've found that often the best-looking stuff just means getting a little creative and doing it yourself. I went to Home Depot, Ross, and Goodwill before realizing that my roommate's Ikea lamp would be perfect. He said I could have it for a good bottle of Belgian beer :biggrin:

I actually got the idea to do this DIY from a random thread I found:

Conduit light arm

I mounted 2 brackets on the back of my stand and am using 1/2" conduit bent at a 90 degree angle as the arm to hold the lamp. I replaced the screws on the brackets with hand screws so I can raise and lower the light without having to use a screwdriver. I plan to paint the arm and the brushed metal part of the lamp with a textured black paint, and leave the shade white. Would like to leave the brushed metal look on the lamp, but I think it will look weird being attached to a black arm. I'll update as things progress.