Need help installing a float valve in DIY sump ...

Guest Houshan

Guest Houshan

I'm going to add baffles in my sump.  There will be three sections divided by the bubble-trap baffles.

Water flow from L to R: overflow water enters 1st section containing skimmer. Then water goes thru the first set of baffles into the second section.  The second section is for settling or refugium then the water flows thru the second set of baffles into the third section.  The third section is where the return water collects to be pumped back to the main tank.

I understand the baffles will control the water level in each section depending on the height.  However, how and where would I put my float-valve to ensure my water top-off works properly?  I want to use it in the last section but is this really the best place?  How would the water level fall down to engage my float valve if the baffles keep the water at a constant level?  Do I have to intentionally keep the sump water level a few inches above the baffles to allow for evap?  So, that means the baffles are meant to control the minimum water level not necessarily the actual water level I want?

- Jose

The float switch should be in the return pump chamber.  This is where you want to monitor the level in your sump.  The other chambers will take care of themself.  You can either devise an arm or mount a tab to connect the switch to.

Guest Houshan
The float switch should be in the return pump chamber.  This is where you want to monitor the level in your sump.  The other chambers will take care of themself.  You can either devise an arm or mount a tab to connect the switch to.

Okay, I'll put my float valve in the section that has the water to be returned to the main tank.

So, does that mean I'm understanding correctly about the sump water level?  I need to deliberately keep my sump water level considerably higher than the baffles in order to give the float valve room to go up and down for top-off?

Houshan, check out the gallery Setups category.  You will see my new DIY sump and how I configured in the float switch.  I use that to control top off w/RO-DI water driven through a kalk reactor.

The float switch is the vertical tube in the back of the pump chamber, just right of the 'fuge section...

62770_Installed_and_running_end-med.jpg

Guest Houshan

Houshan, check out the gallery Setups category.  You will see my new DIY sump and how I configured in the float switch.  I use that to control top off w/RO-DI water driven through a kalk reactor.

The float switch is the vertical tube in the back of the pump chamber, just right of the 'fuge section...

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm using a float valve but I'll build a bracket for it and the probes.

My real problem is figuring out the heights of the baffles separating the 3 sections.  I think I figured it out but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

The water in the last section (where the water collects to be returned) needs to be variable for the float valve to work properly.

I think I have to have the baffle higher, on the second section side between section two & three, then make the baffle on the third section side much lower. This would keep the water in section two higher and at a constant level but have the water vary in section three.

Is this the proper way to build the baffles or am I misundertanding?

- Jose

BTW ... I'm trying to understand how the water flows, from the skimmer, into the middle section on your sump.  I'm really curious about your baffle configuration as I might use something like that too.

Check out Melev's Reef sumps.  This guy is from Dallas Reef Club and his is the basis of my sump design.  He answers almost all of your questions in his write-ups.  You should easily find my design in his... (I kinda stole it :-)

s