My New Sump

xeon

I built a new sump to help me organize my space better underneath my tank.  I have an inwall tank between two rooms, so space underneath is at a premium as I gather more gadgets.  It is a simple design... skimmer chamber, refuge and return.  Overall dimensions are 32" x 10.5" x 17.5"  I may add some supports on the top, fabricate a "holder" for my refuge light, something to put probes in or a float switch.  Checking for leaks now....

sump.jpg

sump2.jpg

It came out pretty good.

Guest Houshan

Xeon,

Does your overflow water from the main tank enter the right side?

Is the chamber on the left not connected to the other sections?  The water is higher in that side.

- Jose

The water will come in the right hand side(skimmer).  My current setup is with a split return line.  One way goes back to the main tank, the other goes to the refuge.  I have ballvalves on each path for flow control.  I could split my overflow to feed the refuge, but my return pump is too much for my single 1" overflow plumbing.  I don't like the idea of restricting the return pump, so I am diverting some of its flow.  Plus modifying my return plumbing a little is easier.  Call me lazy.

You cannot see them too well, but the refuge chamber has overflow teeth routed in where the water level is.     

returnsplit.jpg

Dave looks GREAT.

On the fuge side, I see the teeth you mentioned, but what is it that goes all the way to the top?  May want to lower that, or better drill some extra holes in case those teeth clog... better to over flow into the return chamber than the floor.

I cut it at a friends house since the panels exceeded my table saw's max rip size.  I bought the sheet at Read Plastics in Rockville.

I made the refuge wall the height of the sump for a few reasons.  Running the full vertical length adds more sturdiness.  Another reason was if the water level were to rise that high in a return pump off situation... floating macros would still be blocked from going cross lots.  The water level should never be that high with this tank though... not enough excess water volume according to my calcs.  

Since chaeto is the macro floating it doesn't really block flow.  Floating a plastic bag in the refuge and going upstairs for a sandwich is another story... yes it happened.  I'm not really worried about macro blockage.  In my current setup I've had the teeth covered with macros with no level change.   Drilling a 1/2 or 3/4" hole if this proves to be an issue would solve it though.

What kind of skimmer Dave?

You saw my sump which was a similar design, but I regret not having enough room around the skimmer to work easily and the mechanical filter that I use now for the return by the skimmer is a bit tight. The return is external or in the center section?

I do like yoiur clean and neat lines.

I will be using my EV-120 with a MAG7.  The skimmer chamber (far right) is designed especially for it.  One thing I forgot I need to do is build a little stand to raise it a bit.  As of now the center section is for the return pump.  I could use an external pump with a little modification, but today I am using a submersible.