LR and bubbles

sen5241b

What are these bubbles? I blasted them off with a turkey baster and they come back the same day. There were no bubbles when I first put them in the tank. At one point during a cycle, don't bacteria convert nitrates to nitrogen gas? The rock pieces you see in the pic are highly porous and calcareous white branch coral I found on the beach and cured myself. The other LR in my tank doesn't have nearly as many bubbles like these .

LR-bubbles-0001_1024x768.jpg

and this:

LR-bubbles-0003_1024x768.jpg

I'm guessing, but if it's limited to just these new rocks that you have and not spreading, it's either nitrogen from biological processes or air that was trapped in the rock after it was removed and transported. Did you pick the rocks up off the beach?

I'm guessing, but if it's limited to just these new rocks that you have and not spreading, it's either nitrogen from biological processes or air that was trapped in the rock after it was removed and transported. Did you pick the rocks up off the beach?

Yeah. I let them turn bone dry before curing them.

Yeah. I let them turn bone dry before curing them.

I suspect that it's just air, then. Give it time to release or absorb.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I first posted this, the bubbles emerge from this rock and one other similar piece unabated. I blast the bubbles off the rock with water from my turkey baster and they return in 15 minutes. The rock has stayed in the tank all this time --so its not trapped air. I can't see any trace of algae in or on it.

I have the same bubbles, I'll put my money on Cyanobacteria... I had a major red slime problem, got that under control, just the bubbles, which is getting better by the day.

I changed the water flow in my tank and did a few major water changes, also cut down on feeding.