drilling a little scared

Guest bill33

Guest bill33

im drilling my 29, but i dont no were to drill it in the back of the glass or in the corners.   how do you even drill what bit do you use, is it easy.   please help

Billy

The way i have seen it done is that they have a suction mounted mini drill press with diamon barbide glass drill bits, they also have a special lubricant and a "donut" that holds the lubricant around the bit, thick glass may take a shorter amount time as thin glass will take alot of time, i guees their experience would tell them on how much pressure to put on the drill and how long it will take them, also if it is tempered you cant drill it for it will shatter. other people may use different methods. also there is a link   in the suppliers part if the links tab for ameriglass. hope i didnt scare ya too much i myself like to leave it to the pros . HTH Gary [tu]

Its not easy.  

Call TRT and ask if Grim can do it.  Drop it off on a weekday, be cool with waiting a week to get it back and you MAY, MAYBE could POSSIBLY get lucky and he could do it while you wait.  

I think he gets 10 or 15 per hole, very worth it if you ask me.  You'd spend nearly that on drill bits.

There are several ways to do it, but for a single hole... The Reef Tank is the best option.  A diamond bit alone is at least double or triple what they charge, plus you get his experience.  You might get lucky and have a local glass shop do it reasonably.  

If you poke around ReefCentral you will find plenty to read on drilling tanks.  I've seen people discuss diamond tip hole saw bits, a pipe w/ some abrasive substance and even a dremel approach.

A 29 drilling is a walk in the park, but it is a $30+ drill bit, and a bit of experience in knowing when the disk is going to drop out so it does not chip.

In my opinion, pay someone the 10-20 dollars and have it drilled.

PS:  I have the bits and a drill press and would charge you the same.  The bits are only good for so many holes and the risk of the driller is high

Billy,

I had the TRT do mine, they charge around $10 a hole and if you got time, only takes a couple of minutes. I would recommend 2 holes vs. 1. I had my 90 drilled with 3 holes for 1" bulk heads which will remove about 600 gals per hour each hole. THIS came in handy the other day when my thermometer came loose and the suction cup blocked one of the holes and still left 1200 gals per hr. going out with my Mag12 pushing around 1000gals per hour in. Could have been disasterous if not for the extra outflow. One note, Mike mentioned that of all the holes they drilled, only 1 broke which was a small tank with I believe was tempered glass. BUT well worth the gamble.

Howard

Howard,

LOL, well I was getting a 10 gallon drilled and it broke.  Was I the "one"?  I partially expected it since a 10 gallon is awful thin.   I ran down the road and bought another at a pet store and the second was a success... except I broke the second one at home.  The third I had done at my local glass shop for $5, since the lady thought the application was "so cool".    

In breaking two 10 gallon tanks I found a better way to drill them.  The problem as I see it is the drill press and the pressure needed to grind throgh the glass, thin as it may be.  Grim actually told me that the thinner the glass the slower he has to go, which makes sense.  

On my third, I cut two pieces of drywall the size of the glass panels that were by me while I was brainstorming.. then cut two short sections of a 2x4.  I placed both panels up against the glass on each side and then wedged the 2x4's at an angle to snug the panels tight on each side.  I could have come up with something a little more extravegant, but it worked.   

Nothing to do with a 29, but nonetheless there you have it.

Dave,

I'm not touching that! :)

gvl]]

PS, I Like Gary response to this:

Give me a hammer, blow torch and duct tape and i can fix it!!

thanks howard, that seems to be the motto for me at the house too (GRUNT GRUNT)... could ya guess im an auto technician?

tony sent a pm