Magnetic Frag Racks?

wfoxfox

Hi,

I have seen some pretty interesting egg shell frag racks in some tanks around here. I am interested in getting a magnetic one. I have seen black, white and translucent. All shapes and sizes. am leaning towards a translucent I found on Ebay.

Any life lessons, you are willing to share, would be greatly appreciated.

link to ebay......... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150323013536

Thanks,

Wayne

What size tank do you have? I bought a piece of eggcrate and made the size I wanted, plus had extra to make more down the road. I simply used superglue to attach to a mag float. Works like a charm.

What size tank do you have? I bought a piece of eggcrate and made the size I wanted, plus had extra to make more down the road. I simply used superglue to attach to a mag float. Works like a charm.

I've done the same thing and highly recommend it. You have control over how large you want them.

Hi,

I have seen some pretty interesting egg shell frag racks in some tanks around here. I am interested in getting a magnetic one. I have seen black, white and translucent. All shapes and sizes. am leaning towards a translucent I found on Ebay.

Any life lessons, you are willing to share, would be greatly appreciated.

link to ebay......... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150323013536

Thanks,

Wayne

I've bought some and even made some like the MR2 (mag rack version 2) series rack from here: http://www.blackrockreef.com/index.html

In many ways it's not unlike what you've linked to except that these racks use black egg crate.

The biggest problem I had with the older design is having the rack occasionally "trap door" on me during water changes when the frags would begin to be exposed over the water line thus putting a heavier load on the magnets. Blackrock's new MR3 design has tried to fix this with some vertical stabilizers.

The one problem that I have with the rack design you've linked to is the amount of solid acrylic that I see around the plug holes. It seems to me that this design would reduce flow around frags even more than a design based on egg crate. It might also present more drag which may make it more susceptible to dislodging and dumping your frags on the sand or in the rock below.

I build mine with egg-crate and I use the magnets designed for holding powerheads (I got mine at BRK). These particular magnets have several 'sleeves' that are supposedly designed for holding assorted powerheads onto the inside magnet. I super-glue the racks onto the sleeves. BUT - for max strength, I use the accelerator spray - seems to work a lot better that way. A generous amount of superglue, a quick spray, and put it together; hold for three seconds. I may auction off one of my frag racks; it has so many corals growing directly on it now, it's not of much use as a frag rack anymore.

Those 'invisible' ones - are only going to be invisible until they get coralline and other stuff growing on them - and I agree there seems to be too much surface area, which will cut down on flow around the frags.

bob

I have a 90 - glass

I build mine with egg-crate and I use the magnets designed for holding powerheads (I got mine at BRK). These particular magnets have several 'sleeves' that are supposedly designed for holding assorted powerheads onto the inside magnet. I super-glue the racks onto the sleeves. BUT - for max strength, I use the accelerator spray - seems to work a lot better that way. A generous amount of superglue, a quick spray, and put it together; hold for three seconds. I may auction off one of my frag racks; it has so many corals growing directly on it now, it's not of much use as a frag rack anymore.

Those 'invisible' ones - are only going to be invisible until they get coralline and other stuff growing on them - and I agree there seems to be too much surface area, which will cut down on flow around the frags.

bob

Bob,

Auction away :-) We have a great meeting place......... if the corals will stand not having water movement.......

Wayne

I've bought some and even made some like the MR2 (mag rack version 2) series rack from here: http://www.blackrockreef.com/index.html

In many ways it's not unlike what you've linked to except that these racks use black egg crate.

The biggest problem I had with the older design is having the rack occasionally "trap door" on me during water changes when the frags would begin to be exposed over the water line thus putting a heavier load on the magnets. Blackrock's new MR3 design has tried to fix this with some vertical stabilizers.

The one problem that I have with the rack design you've linked to is the amount of solid acrylic that I see around the plug holes. It seems to me that this design would reduce flow around frags even more than a design based on egg crate. It might also present more drag which may make it more susceptible to dislodging and dumping your frags on the sand or in the rock below.

The restricted water flow makes sense. I will go with an egg crate material. I guess black or white really doesn't matter :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I use the bigger magnets, because my racks are about a foot long, and about 4-5" wide. Yu can put a fair amount of weight on them.

bob