Quarantine a fish obtained from club member?

Steve G

I know. Always quarantine.

But if i am adding a fish from a club-member's tank, where the medical and feeding history are well known, is it imposing undue stress on the animal to make two transitions (to QT and then to display tank)?

Specifics: display tank has 2 ocellaris, 1 royal gramma, and a foxface rabbitfish. Adding a pygmy angel.

What say ye, wise wamas members? What do you do in this situation?

I say just place the fish in the display tank. If you trust the tank you just purchased from then there should be no problem. I would look in to so parasitic clean up crew like a skunk cleaner or neon goby. In the event something was transfered over.

If you have a q-tank system then use it. No reason not to. Just because the tank it came from does not show signs of ich does not mean the tank does not have it. Or your tank might have it you just don't see it because the fish are healthy. IMHO all tanks have ich, most of our fish are healthy and do not show signs of stress.

just my opinion.

I quarantine and treat for problems no matter where the fish came from, and I would recommend quarantine and preventative treatment to anyone I gave a fish to as well.

IMO, not using quarantine is just begging for problems. And quarantine should include treatment for common external and internal parasites.

If you practice good husbandry in your QT, it should be less stressful, not more, and is a good opportunity to fatten up fish that might be more shy in your reef.

Jon

I'm sure we all will have different opinions on this subject. Here's mine: If you have a QT system, use it. If you don't have a QT system and you can accept the risk that a newly acquired fish will bring a disease into your tank and possibly wipe out the other inhabitants, then so be it. FWIW, I use my home system as a QT for my maintenance customers, but I also only buy healthy, active fish.

I just do a 2 min freshwater dip.

Most people don't have the time or desire to keep thier QT tank in prestine condition. If you do and it's water parameters match your tanks that there is no reason not to use. I just think that this is rarely the case and most people neglect thier QT tank and have poor water params in them.

I quarantine and treat for problems no matter where the fish came from, and I would recommend quarantine and preventative treatment to anyone I gave a fish to as well.

This is why Jon has a better tank than I do :). That should be a hint to anyone!

I am barely a novice in this hobby after 2 years, but I'm on my second round of NO FISH in my tank - 4 months each time - trying to get rid of ich that came from someone with an awesome tank.

I now have a 10g. quarantine tank where my last fish lives while my bristle worms wait for company in the big tank.

Al