Cooling Fans

OUsnakebyte

Well, I tried my first little DIY project... wiring Radio Shack cooling fans for the back of my canopy.  I remember the thrill of excitement when I plugged the extension cord into the outlet and saw the little blades spinning round and round, creating a refreshing blast of cool air.  I was even more excited to find out that I had not melted the fan or set the house ablaze.  :D

Enter the disappointment.  The fan kept gaining energy, and thus noise, until it sounded like there was a truck idling outside my living room window.  It was made perfectly clear to me that this was unacceptable, and I was forced to disassemble my proud, pitiful project.  :(

Technically, my first DIY project was a success, even though I am currently labeled as a failure.  I am still in need of those elusive, quiet fans.  So, to make a long story short (I know, too late), where can I get a couple of quiet fans?

OU...,

I am very surprised.  I have a 4" Radio Shack fan in my 125 canopy and it is whisper quiet.  I can barely hear it with mu pumps turned off.

Sorry I can't help you.

Eddi

Do you know the specifics on it (AC/DC, computer fan or otherwise, etc.)?  I went for the 5-incher, thinking bigger was better, not realizing that bigger also meant louder...  :)

Guest Kimo

You may have been vibrating the hood you installed it in - Try some rubber grommets between the fan/screws and the hood to isolate the vibrations.  You can get them at home depot I think.

Jamie

OU...,

I am currently at work but will check when I get home.  I doubt the 5" fan is that much noisier than the 4".  Is anything vibrating?

Eddi

Quiet 120V cooling fans at MPJA for 14.95

Above is the link MichaelG pointed me to for inexpensive, quiet cooling fans.  They really work.

The RadioShack fans tend to sound like a turbine engine running or other equally obnoxious loud analogies.  I used to use them but could not stand it any more.  I do not think rubber mount isolation is the problem here.  Did you try the fans on the bench outside of the hood?  I bet they are still loud...

I recommend these fans.  They move a lot of air and are QUIET.  In my experience, MPJA delivers quickly and accurately.

Steve

No, nothing is vibrating.  It just sounds like a LOT of wind blowing, or as you said, a turbine engine.  Multiply that times two (one for each side of the canopy) and I can't hear my tv or my girlfriend complaining that she wants to watch 7th Heaven when football is on! (Hmm... maybe I ought to think about that...)  :D

I'll try that link.

Cheers!

Mike

Holmes 8 inch clip on fan

Walmart

$6.95

screwed into hood, aimed at water

lamp timer

$8.95

turns fan off and on 15 min cycle

low tech and works

Aquariareview's idea is exactly what is on my tank at this time.  BUT, I think the fans are big and ugly.  That said, inexpensive works and works well.  Your choice.

FWIW, I will be using 4 of those 4" fans to compete with the cooling capacity of the 8" fan.  Probably overkill, but what the heck.

s

You could also go the more expensive IceCap fan route that have heat sensors. You will hear a slight buz, but thats about it. We have used the radio shack fans for cutting costs, but they don't usually make more noise than the hum of a return pump :)

I use the 4" radio shack fan with good results.  There are cheaper and quiter solutuions, but none with shop in the 'hood.

Try:

http://hosfelt.com/

They have a fan that is 115 VAC, 13 Watt, 81 CFM, 3000 RPM, 37 dB, Sleeve Bearing, Metal Housing, Plastic Blades (5). for only $US 10.95.  That seems like a quiet deal

:p

I've read quite a few posts on Reef Central about people using Orion Fans.  Apparently there is a fan Orion makes that is only 18 db's.  Any comments, experiences, etc.?

Mike

Believe that fan to be model#OA119AP-11-3. I have the 5" fans, but haven't hooked thrm up yet. Still trying to find time to build canopy.

Guest andrejka

Found this onRAG forum (second post on that page; by o2manyfish):

"Over my 125 I run 2x250HQI DE, 2 VHO Actinic and 2 HO T5's. My hood is about 10" tall by 60x18 - I run a pair of 6" 220v computer fans at 110v. This way they run 1/2 speed and silent. I get no heat build up in my hood. And I have no noise."

Can be a good idea to run 220V fan at 110V.  One would need a big fan for enough circulation, though.  

Just an idea :)

I've got the 4" Icecap variable speed fan.  A little more money, but it's proven, works well, and it's already wired with a plug.  Very quiet and moves a lot of air.  Mine is almost always running as fast as it will go and it's not really noticable.  My tank is in our family room with the tv and it's not a problem.

mc

I think these are the same ones I got.  They are not as quiet as the icecaps, but much more quiet than some others I tested and most certainly more quiet than most computer fans I have heard.   What is the dB on the icecaps at full throttle?  I believe 21dB is barely audible?  

Michael

Product:

115VAC 4-11/16 " X 1-1/2" FAN COMAIR  

14018 FN: THIS PART IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

Well, this new fan is a different part number.  I ordered 14018 FN, and as you can see from the quote, not available.  Dunno what the fan noise level is, as these that I have are identical to the picture shown, but tons quieter than a 9" clip on fan I'm using right now.

Little doubt in my mind it will NOT sound like a turbine engine as the RS fans do... :D

s