Mag 18

davelin315

I am contemplating putting a dialed back Mag 18 on a 55 with a large sump, around 30-40 gallons, but wanted to know people's experience with heat transfer as a submersible pump. Anyone use this on such a small system before?

I am contemplating putting a dialed back Mag 18 on a 55 with a large sump, around 30-40 gallons, but wanted to know people's experience with heat transfer as a submersible pump. Anyone use this on such a small system before?

My experience with them is that they generate a ton of heat. I use one in a 44-gal Brute trashcan to stir my change water. The change water is always in the low to mid 80's. Makes me want to mount it externally like a recirculating skimmer design ....

Unless you're getting the pump for free, I think the eheim pumps run cooler. Maybe mount it externally, that will minimize the heat transfer, but it will be noisier.

Edited by Brian Ward

Can we even use the mag pump externally? I heard that it's submersible only. As far as heat goes, I agree. The thing runs hot. I only use mine to pump water from the storage tank to the reservoir.

Can we even use the mag pump externally? I heard that it's submersible only.

They have an O-ring and technically can be used externally. I always use silicone grease for the rings, but, with time, they always start developing the salt crust around the rim. And yes, I think you are going to be fighting heat issues.

If you have the means to drill, I would and use some other pump. I have gone through several Mags and now only use them for water changes/transfer.

Cheers

Mike

They have an O-ring and technically can be used externally. I always use silicone grease for the rings, but, with time, they always start developing the salt crust around the rim. And yes, I think you are going to be fighting heat issues.

If you have the means to drill, I would and use some other pump. I have gone through several Mags and now only use them for water changes/transfer.

Cheers

Mike

Agreed. Why not look at a small pan-world external pump or similar? They are inexpensive and work well. If submersible is your only option, I'd vote for Eheim too.

Is this for a school tank?

Can you use a Eheim 1262 for a return pump? I think I saw on the That Fish Place website that the 1262 had a maximum head of 15". I currently use a Mag 12 for a return and it does generate some heat but not too much, was thinking about buying a 1262 until I saw the max head.

It is for a school tank. We have an undrilled sump and a mag 7 as the return for it right now. The tank is still empty and I was going to see if someone could help me drill it so that I can hook up an old Dolphin Ampmaster 3000 to it with a 1.5" bulkhead, but then I remembered that I have a Mag 18 from another donated system that I could use and avoid drilling. I'm not sure of the sump is tempered or not. I think that I will avoid the Mag 18 for the time being and work on drilling the sump instead. I can easily dial back the Ampmaster so that it is not pushing too much water through. We're probably going barebottom in this system to ease the maintenance (might end up with a DSB, though) so this would be a good choice due to how quiet a pump it is as well.

I had a Mag 24 driving my manifold system and when I switched to a Dart, I saw a significant temperature drop. I also saw a decrease in evaporation loss since the temperature controlled fans were on alot less. When you get into the Mag 12s and above, there is definitely a huge amount of heat transfer.

I had a Mag 24 driving my manifold system and when I switched to a Dart, I saw a significant temperature drop. I also saw a decrease in evaporation loss since the temperature controlled fans were on alot less. When you get into the Mag 12s and above, there is definitely a huge amount of heat transfer.

I have either a 24 or 36 that I was using for a while to stir my new saltwater. Temperature would easily get in the 90's or 100's if I left it running too long (overnight or a couple of days).

They make a crazy ridiculous amount of heat, Dave.

One time I left 1 or possibly 2 MAG 18s in a 5 Gal bucket with about 4 Gal of water in it running 12 hours in vinegar.

When I reached my arm in, I got burned. I'd estimate the water was 180 degrees, and dissipating a lot of heat to the surface.

Up to my elbow was bright red for at least a week from being in the water less than 2 seconds. I have a pic of that somewhere.

Yeah, it was only 4 gallons, but I was amazed how hot it got just overnight one time.

tim