250w HQI bulbs

ChuckN

I have a Outer Orbit Pro 72" HQI/T5HO fixture that has been in service sence September and it has three 250w hqi 10,000k bulbs. When I got home form work last week I noticed that one of the bulbs was out. So I turned off the ballast to that lamp and after about 30 minuites I turned it back on. It would begin to warm up that lamp and then the lamp would shut off. I swapped ballasts and the problem followed the lamp not the ballast. After inspecting the lamp I find a hole in the side of it.... darn thing is only 4 months old!!!... Now today another one of them went out and I have just the one in the middle working. I called current and they told me that the bulbs are only warrantied for 3 months... WONDERFULL. I have these on timers and they come on at 1200 and turn off at 2000. So I know it is not from them being on too long. Here are my questions:

1. Is this normal for these HQI bulbs to do this.

2. What would someone suggest as a good replacement bulb? ( I was thinking Phoenix 14,000k's )

3. Could the ballast actually be causing this? If so how would I know?

Thanks

I'd say its the cheap bulbs. They're not gonna give you high quality bulbs when you buy the fixture. I'd say go with the 14K Phoenix and be done with it. You're not gonna get anything out of Current.

I only have one HQI bulb - over my nano. The bulbs have varied a lot in cost and longevity The one I recently replaced got in the habit of shutting off every couple of hours, and then 20 mins later coming back on. Them things run HOT - I'm not too surprised that they run into problems.

bob

I've never heard of a failure like the one you're describing. Did you get the same kind of failure with the other bulb? Just curious: Was this hole in the inner or the outer envelope, and about where on the bulb was it located? I'd agree with James - chalk it up to cheap bulbs. 14,000K Phoenix bulbs have great color all on their own. Depending upon the T5's you're using, you may find that the supplementation changes the overall look.

Well you could have had my problem were I thought every bulb I was buying was faulty, until it was noted that the ballast were not putting out the the correct voltage. I soon upgraded the ballast and now all is working normal. Thanks Tom for the help on that problem.

I've never heard of a failure like the one you're describing. Did you get the same kind of failure with the other bulb? Just curious: Was this hole in the inner or the outer envelope, and about where on the bulb was it located? I'd agree with James - chalk it up to cheap bulbs. 14,000K Phoenix bulbs have great color all on their own. Depending upon the T5's you're using, you may find that the supplementation changes the overall look.

Yeah it was the same failure on the other bulb. Hole was in the outer part of the bulb not the inner. The T5's are 4 - 39watt 420 nm and 4 - 39 watt 460nm lamps. I just dont want it to look too blue...

I have the same fixture as you. I run 14k Phoenix bulbs along with the T5's and I don't think it's too blue. It puts out a nice color and my corals seem to like it as well.

Sandy

I have the same fixture as you. I run 14k Phoenix bulbs along with the T5's and I don't think it's too blue. It puts out a nice color and my corals seem to like it as well.

Sandy

Awsome , Thanks :clap: