aquarium sealant?

Guest cbo

Guest cbo

I am fabricating a sump and a refugium for my next setup.  The refugium required a divider, for which I installed a panel of acrylic using GE silicone II.  Am I crazy, I dont think so, but wanted some comments.

The GE Silicone II states right on the tube, "not for aquarium use".

However, the product is 100% silicone and here is info from the GE web site FAQ.

"Which product can I use in my aquarium?

GE does not recommend the use of our CONSUMER products on aquariums. The Silicone II product line releases ammonia as the by-product of cure. The ammonia can change the pH of the water in the aquarium having a negative impact on the marine life."

"How long will my silicone sealant release an odor?

Silicone sealants outgas during their cure cycle. Most of the outgassing occurs during the first 24 hours after the product is applied. However, there may be minimal outgassing during the following week as the final curing occurs."

So, it would seem that as long as I let the sealant cure for a week or so all the ammonia should have outgassed and I am okay, yes?  Well just thought I would hear what everyone has to say about it.  

I wanted to use the GE silicon II because it has excellent adheshion to both plastic and glass, as well as it is only ~$3 a tube.

Thanks, comments please.

cbo

"not for aquarium use"

I think that is just to cover their butts legally.

If it is 100% silicone then it is fine.  Your week cure time is plenty but I think two days should be fine depending on how thick you lay it.

Guest Scott324
I use the stuff they sell at walmart for aquariums.  It is a bit more expensive though.  Petwharehouse sells full tubes that are more expensive than the GE stuff if you want to cover yourself.  I agree with David, I am sure thats just to cover there butt.  If you search on RC many people have used the GE 100% stuff.  I just added a baffle to my 55 gallon sump and used the walmart stuff.  I let it cure for about 36 hours and then added water.  It had about 35 gallons of force behind it and held.  It does stink pretty bad for about 2 days (smells like vinegar).

Guest cbo

Thanks for the input.  The GE website says that the only GE Silicone II sealant with an anti-mildew additive is the kitchen & bath product.

How expensive is the stuff they sell at walmart for aquariums?

cbo

Guest Scott324
I think it was about 4 or 5 dollars.  If you buy the regular tube from PW it is like 8-10 dollars.  By reg tube I mean it will fit in a caulking gun.  This is probably your best bet.

I have actually used both aquarium use and GE silicone to attach baffles. I have yet to see any ill effects other than the retched smell for a day or two. But were talking maybe a $8 difference over all-glass sealant, and thats at Aquarium ctr. After spending hundreds up to thousands on equipment and lights, multiple hundreds on live rock and sand. Fish are normally starting at $20-25 a pop. coral frags and colonies anywhere from $10, up to $75 for Dr mac stuff. Even homebrew food is just shy of $50 buying all the fresh seafood. Why worry about ashtray change and worry if it might leach some toxic chemical into your system? if indeed that is the main selling point. Sorry to sound so negative but seems that if worried to begin with you should stick with what you know for sure is safe than being stuck between a $3 tube and $15

I agree with Kabala.  Is the rsik really worth it?  Yes, you are most probably safe in using it with a liitle bit of common sense, but why would you?  If aquarium sealant were hard to find or too expensive to the point of not being able to afford it you may make a case for it, but neither case is true.

Just my .02.

Eddi

Guest cbo

Well, I certainly appreciate everyone’s input, opinions and experiences.  For my part I feel I have an approach to hobbies and the like of always learning and not spending more than I have to.  I am working on small systems and trying not to be irresponsible.

If I where building my first system with a budget of $5,000, I would not take any chances building and stocking that 100+ gallon tank.  However, I am building a 20gal system and doing it slowly.  Anything I might eventually want to do, I want to try now, and hopefully the things I learn, I can apply intelligently to bigger systems I do later on.  A lot of the satisfaction that I get from both this and my other hobbies is becoming educated about all different facets of the endeavor.  Since I am an engineer I probably devote an undue amount of attention and experimentation to the mechanics and electronics of the setup, and just try to follow conventional wisdom when it comes to keeping the livestock.

Thanks again to everyone, I really to appreciate all the information.  My wife says I am cheap, but I'll spend money, I just hate spending more money than is absolutely necessary.

cbo