FLAME ANGELS

trockafella

I just recently got a flame angel to replace my carpenter wrasse (found him on the floor, he made it out of a small space) needed some more preety colors in the tank... I was wondering if they are known for picking at corals... I see it picking at rocks and around corals, and noticed that some of my sps are not open, but only the digi's.. If its biting at them will it leave marks or is this just a coincidence..?

I have read stories on the internet about people having issues with them nipping LPS and softies. I have had about six of them during my years in the hobby and none of them have ever bothered any of my corals. I would just watch it for awhile and see what happens. It might of just picked at a pod on the monti which made it close up.

I think it's hit or miss, I just noticed my Foxface eating my Birdsnest lastnite. Now I think I'm gonna need a new home for him :(

Its a toss up its a model citizen in christinas tank but i've seen them nip corals in other tanks.

Exactly. The most I've ever seen mine do is chase around new fish for like...a week...but all my fish do that, and then they're all friends :].

I've had my flame angel for I think almost a year, and he's never nipped or picked at any of my corals, ever, but it might honestly depend on each individual fish. Good luck with yours :].

I've had two and both have them have nipped at pocillipora - pink and green - but nothing else. Only occassional tastes, nothing that really hindered growth, although that might have been different if they were just small frags.

My flame do not bothers sps or any corals. Have had another couple before the current one, same.

HTH,

Thanks everyone... I dont think it has been nipping, i did some tests and i think i had something else going on... Looks like he is stayin.. SOrry Rob... I still plan on monitoring him just to make sure, but i think hes been pickin pods from places...

My flame angel picked on one of my more $$$$ meat corals. The meat would always stay closed. I tried to sell the meat coral on wamas but nobody wanted it. Then all of a sudden the flame stop pickiing on it. I have now put some $$$$ acans in the tank and he is not bothering them at all. So if the corals are not dead I would just leave the angel in there.