12G Nano Fish recommendations

civitan.erichanson

Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

We bought my son a 12G JBJ Nano for Christmas and now have it set up. We would like to put two fish in the tank and maybe a shrimp or two.

Are two fish possible? If so what kind, kids would like Nemos, but I think they might get too big.

Can shrimp be added to a nano since they need such a long acclimation period I am afraid I would drain half the tank in the acclimation period.

Thanks,

Eric.

I have a clown and goby with a skunk and a pistol shrimp.

I somewhat regret the pistol due to the disruption of the sand in a rather small tank but it is entertaining.

I would not add any more livestock.

So, I'm assuming the tank is already cycled then. I had a 12g JBJ set up for a while. Recommend looking at nanoreefs.com for lots of advice. Two small fish should be enough for this tank. Small fish could be possibly selected from goby (my fav is yellow rose high fin - and many gobies can be raised in pairs), blenny, a nemo (young one, but they're so cliche), maybe even rock bass, couple cardinals, chromiseseses, royal gramma if you want an aggressive type with character. I would stay away from the obvious, like angels (even dwarf), tang, trigger, eels, dragonets, damsels, wrasseseses, and puffers (of course).

just my two cents :)

You going to use the back chamber for a 'fuge? There's tons of mods you can do on these tanks that are way cool.

Edited by Sharkb8

• 3 weeks later...

I had a a false perc and a fire fish in my nano cube with no problems. I didn't mod mine, but I have seen some with a fuge in the back as well as a protein skimmer. I actually just started mine back up!

I always strongly advise against clownfish because they're so common place. Who, besides me, doesn't have a freaking clown in their tank? I'd have to kill each person who asked me about "nemo". As mentioned above, they're very cliche. 2 clowns would get very large since one would likely take the female role.

A few small gobies would be a nice addition, a skunk cleaner (the relationship between shrimp and fish is exciting to watch), a peppermint or two.

I use drip acclimation for all of my tanks and I've never lost a single critter. Approximately 1 drip per second. You'd be surprise how little water that is. Discard the water afterwards and then remove a little more and you've done a water change :) This way you're adding new critters and exporting nutrients which can sometimes be hard to manage in a small aquarium.

I would suggest you run the tank for a while before you start going down the path of modifications. One poorly executed mod can result is far more hassle and headaches. I'm speaking from experience as I too have a 12G JBJ that I decided to make some modifications to, a couple little changes and I had an really tough time keeping my heat down.

There is a particular LFS in the area whos owner is really knowledgeable about these smaller fish and tanks, shoot me an PM and I'll give you the name. I prefer to avoid controversy on the forums. (The man is watching my posts, no really, he is)

• 4 weeks later...

well i no longer have clowns, mine decided to go carpet surfing DOHH, but one nice looking fish i recomend if a yasha goby with a pistol shrimp, you will enjoy looking at them. A small yellow clown goby and also catalina goby.

Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

We bought my son a 12G JBJ Nano for Christmas and now have it set up. We would like to put two fish in the tank and maybe a shrimp or two.

Are two fish possible? If so what kind, kids would like Nemos, but I think they might get too big.

Can shrimp be added to a nano since they need such a long acclimation period I am afraid I would drain half the tank in the acclimation period.

Thanks,

Eric.

Hello Eric,

A friend of mine also has a 12G nanocube in his son room started about 4-5 years ago. His son picked out a pair of true percular Nemo, a royal gramma, a pair of yellow coral banded shrimp, a rbta that splits into 3 (he later took out one to give to his mom, his son's grandma) and all survive currently.

Water change weekly and careful feeding enough for fish to consume.

It's possible and depends on your level of care experience.

Cheers,