I need help with a protein skimmer

zygote2k

I need to know how to properly tune a Euro-reef skimmer. I am unsure of the model though. It's in a 90 with a sump. If the water level in the sump is too low, the skimmer doesn't produce. If it's too high, it foams excessively. Their is currently an auto top-off system in place to keep this in check.

However, when I am doing water changes and I've refilled the sump, the skimmer goes crazy.

Does anyone have experience that they can share about these skimmers? Thanks.

You may need to construct, or have constructed for you, a "skimmer box" to keep the skimmer area's water level constant.

Even with an ATO, it still fluctuates, which is the reason for your frustration in tuning.

Just turn it off when you do water changes. A few minutes off won't kill anything.

I have a euro reef RS 180 that I won at Macna for my 75 frag tank and I do what dj boys does.turn it off and then get the level back to the mark. it is a pain. the real soultion is waht Chips says to do.

Curtis

You may need to construct, or have constructed for you, a "skimmer box" to keep the skimmer area's water level constant.

Even with an ATO, it still fluctuates, which is the reason for your frustration in tuning.

+1

I think somewhere in the ER manual it says the skimmer needs a constant water level. Mine is behind a baffle, but Chip's method is a good workaround.

Behind a baffle of the correct height or in a skimmer box is the key.

FYI,

A skimmer box can be a simple as a container from the Container Store that fits the skimmer but has an outflow at the correct water height.

not sure how this skimmer is built, but I just put a valve on the end of my skimmer to make water pressure constant.

I've attached a quick drawing of were I would typically see the valve.

post-2631360-1229448356_thumb.jpg

The outflow from the euroreef skimmers is supposed to be above the water level of the sump. I used to have mine 4-5 inches below the sump water level and I found that it was alot more finicky. I trimmed the output to be 1/2 inch below the water level and I haven't had to adjust it hardly at all. Possibly that's a factor.

I need to know how to properly tune a Euro-reef skimmer. I am unsure of the model though. It's in a 90 with a sump. If the water level in the sump is too low, the skimmer doesn't produce. If it's too high, it foams excessively. Their is currently an auto top-off system in place to keep this in check.

However, when I am doing water changes and I've refilled the sump, the skimmer goes crazy.

Does anyone have experience that they can share about these skimmers? Thanks.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding here. Are you saying that the auto topoff keeps the sump water level constant enough that you can keep the skimmer tuned OK? But that after you refill the sump it goes haywire?

On the occasions I've drained my sump and refilled it with new water I've had to run the skimmer at bit for the correct surface tensions to reestablish themselves. We're talking maybe an hour or two here.

You do have to turn off the skimmer while the water level in the sump changes....

From the sound of things, I suspect your return pipe is too far below the water level in the sump. Any sort of significant backpressure (or buildup in the air intake/venturi) will make turning much more difficult.

It runs fine except when I do water changes. The sump has a compartment that is lower than the rest for the skimmer. I'm just used to using skimmers that aren't so finicky in relation to sump water levels. The T1000 and the ASM can run till there's no more water or as long as the water doesn't go over the outflow. I noticed this problem when the 'fuge drained back into the sump, subsequently raising the water level a few inches and causing the skimmer to go crazy and push the collected waste back into the tank. I've found a solution to the 'fuge issues, but would like to know all there is about Euro-reef skimmers.

Thanks.

I have a similar problem with my Aqua C EV 180. It works great until the electicity goes off and the water level in my sump rises a bit. When the electic goes back on, the skimmer overflows. Very frustrating. :mad: