possible to keep acroporas with compact fluorescents

astroboy

Greetings coral comrades!

I have a 75 gallon tank, 360W compact fluorescents, of which 120W are 10K, the remainder are actinic03.

I have some bare spots in the live rock, 8-10 inches below the bulbs, which are just begging me to put acroporas there.

Does anyone have any insights as to whether the lighting is sufficient for acros, or are they most likely just to brown out and not grow?

Thanks!

Greetings coral comrades!

I have a 75 gallon tank, 360W compact fluorescents, of which 120W are 10K, the remainder are actinic03.

I have some bare spots in the live rock, 8-10 inches below the bulbs, which are just begging me to put acroporas there.

Does anyone have any insights as to whether the lighting is sufficient for acros, or are they most likely just to brown out and not grow?

Thanks!

more than likely they will wither away, I have seen one person do it but it was on a pico 2.5 gallons that was attached to his main tank water supply and blasted it with 65watt PC's... it worked but in the end he broke it down because the SPS lost color.

why don't you upgrade to t5's and grow a ton of SPS? IceCap ballast retro t5 kit 4-6 bulbs should do it real nice.

IMHO

cheers!

You might be okay with some of the lower light acros, aka the "deepwater" varieties. A. caroliniana, A. jacquelinae, etc. More important than light intensity IMO is water flow and water quality. PO4 should be nearly undetectable, NO3 5-10ppm or lower. If you use carbon, you will probably get better light penetration, hence more punch from the PC bulbs. Same goes for any other water clarifying device, such as micron filter socks, ozone, UV, etc.

I think you should give it a try assuming the other requirements are met. Nearly every photosynthetic coral is capable of adapting to widely varying light levels.

If you wanna upgrade:

Ive got a Coralife Aqualight Pro 150W HQI w/ PC setup for sale CHEAP! $300! 48" fixture with two Metal Halide 150W bulbs and two 96W PC Actinics.

There have been several successful SPS tanks lit by Power Compacts. Same thing with VHO's. With the current hype about T-5's, people have just forgotten.

Got any links? I try to appreciate different approaches to reefkeeping.

Garrett.

There have been several successful SPS tanks lit by Power Compacts. Same thing with VHO's. With the current hype about T-5's, people have just forgotten.

Yeah, I ran an SPS/LPS tank with 440w of VHO URI, 75g RR tank. They did very well.

If you wanna upgrade:

Ive got a Coralife Aqualight Pro 150W HQI w/ PC setup for sale CHEAP! $300! 48" fixture with two Metal Halide 150W bulbs and two 96W PC Actinics.

Depending on the depth of the tank it might be worth stepping up to 200w