Dry Live Rock Question

epleeds

I recently bought some dry live rock. I was wondering since i have never done this before...do i have to do something special to the rock before I put it in my tank. I have a 75 gallon tank that has been running for almost 2 years. I wanted to add some rock, but i dont want to mess my tank up. If anyone has some insight, it would be helpful.

thanks

eric

If its just base rock the only thing you have to do is rinse it real good. I put about 60 lbs. in my tank to help on the cost of live rock, i used it for the base. It will get color pretty quick. Could you tell when you seen my tank?

I recently bought some dry live rock. I was wondering since i have never done this before...do i have to do something special to the rock before I put it in my tank. I have a 75 gallon tank that has been running for almost 2 years. I wanted to add some rock, but i dont want to mess my tank up. If anyone has some insight, it would be helpful.

thanks

eric

One or two small pieces is fine, just rinse it well first. If you want to add a lot, like more than 10 lbs, then you should spray it out with a hose, then soak it in fresh water for a few weeks, changing the water every few days. Expect a slight algae bloom when you put the new rock in.

One or two small pieces is fine, just rinse it well first. If you want to add a lot, like more than 10 lbs, then you should spray it out with a hose, then soak it in fresh water for a few weeks, changing the water every few days. Expect a slight algae bloom when you put the new rock in.

+1, giving the rock a good flush and soak is a smart move. Unless you know how the rock was dried/cleaned - it could have a lot of dried salt and detritus on it.

Dead rock can cause a cycle if there is a lot of dead stuff on it. I've put dead rock, that was bone dry for months and that did not appear to have anything living or dead on it, into a tank and it caused a cycle with dangerous levels of ammonia, nitrates & etc.

If you think there is anything dead on the rock (was it in the sea in recent times?) then cure it in a separate tank or 5G bucket. I've heard some people say you can add the rock to a tank right away if you soak it in chlorine, then rinse it and then add de-chlorinator.

IMO a large amount of dried base rock that has not been properly cycled can be disasterous for an established tank. Def soak the rock in either fresh RO/DI water, or you can use water from your SW tank from doing a water change. Add as much water movement as you can pointed into the rocks.. by using extra powerheads/pumps and the like. After a week or so test for ammonia and nitrates. Replace water as needed depending on how dirty your rock is.

IMO a large amount of dried base rock that has not been properly cycled can be disasterous for an established tank. Def soak the rock in either fresh RO/DI water, or you can use water from your SW tank from doing a water change. Add as much water movement as you can pointed into the rocks.. by using extra powerheads/pumps and the like. After a week or so test for ammonia and nitrates. Replace water as needed depending on how dirty your rock is.

Ditto. I cycle it for 3-4 weeks, then it doesn't even go into a tank but moves to a "rock color up tank" with reef grade lighting and filtration for around 2 months before we consider it ready to sell. Labor intensive, but the end result is fantastic.

Phil

I've heard some people say you can add the rock to a tank right away if you soak it in chlorine, then rinse it and then add de-chlorinator.

Chlorine is not going to remove the dead organics from the rock so you would still have an ammonia spike.

I just bought some dry rock myself and have it in a 5 gallon bucket with water from my last water change and a powerhead. I plan on replacing the water when I do my biweekly water changes and leaving it in the bucket for 6 weeks or so.

Really depends on the rock you picked up I guess. I added 80lbs of dried base Hawaiian rock to my old 75 gallon that had been running for a year+ and it didn't cause a spike at all.

It does take a while to color up.