Burnt Up Ice Cap 660 Ballast

I have an ice cap 660-009 that I think it a goner. Though the lights were still on and I could even flip the ballast on any off and the lights would still fire. It sounded like a fresh water air pump and there was a stench ... of burning something or other I guess. The whole house smells the ballast is out side on the porch in a dry area and I have a pounding headache from the fumes :why: .

Am I going to die now? :wacko:

I have an ice cap 660-009 that I think it a goner. Though the lights were still on and I could even flip the ballast on any off and the lights would still fire. It sounded like a fresh water air pump and there was a stench ... of burning something or other I guess. The whole house smells the ballast is out side on the porch in a dry area and I have a pounding headache from the fumes :why: .

Am I going to die now? :wacko:

Ahhhh.... I love the smell of burning electronics in the morning...

I know that smell - I've worked in electronics, radio, and computers all my life. That is the lovely odor of burnt transformer. All those little wires heating up like toaster coils, melting the varnish that insulates them.

No worry - the smell will go away in a few months. (kidding!! - it only takes a couple of days if you can air the place out)

You should be fine; unless those ballasts are HUGE, and 20+ years old, and have dioxin in them. :)

bob

How many 36" T5's can you put on one of those 660's? I'm a little confused about those things?