convert a fluval to what?

treesprite

I'm wondering if there is something more useful I can do with my Fluval 304 canister filter rather than let it sit around useless year after year. I also have one with a broken motor and wonder if there's anything I could do with that (without new parts).

Any ideas?

First, how do you vacuum a tank with a fluval, second, I am thinking along the lines of "more useful than a vacuum". Tell me you of all people don't have 51 uses for a Fluval.

First, how do you vacuum a tank with a fluval, second, I am thinking along the lines of "more useful than a vacuum". Tell me you of all people don't have 51 uses for a Fluval.

Are you kidding you don't find the ability to remove detritus from your system especially at points too low to siphon, or sites with too little water to start a siphon, not to mention when using a cannister to vacuum you don't lose water from your system. I'm about to pay $70 to get an eheim vacuum because i don't have a cannister handy. I guess you could fill the whole thing with carbon and get your water all sparkly

Fill it up with LR and run it on your system.

+1

Fluidized media reactor - put the media in a nylon bag and just run it.

+1

Tried both methods above. Worked out great :)

Are you kidding you don't find the ability to remove detritus from your system especially at points too low to siphon, or sites with too little water to start a siphon, not to mention when using a cannister to vacuum you don't lose water from your system. I'm about to pay $70 to get an eheim vacuum because i don't have a cannister handy. I guess you could fill the whole thing with carbon and get your water all sparkly

Are you talking about just running the filter or holding onto the tube along the bottom to vacuum like a vacuum cleaner?

What is better about putting charcoal in a bag in a canister filter and putting a bag of charcoal under flow in the sump?

I wonder if I could use the fluval that has the broken motor to make a denitrator. Seal off all the holes in the lid and put a couple tiny holes for airline. Then in the future if I ever wanted to use it for something else I can just take it apart to take the coils out. Any thoughts on that?

Edited by treesprite

You could alternate media like Carbon, Phosban, Chemipure... as needed.

Can you route the output of the powered one to the input of the unpowered one? It would slow-down the flow but make a large media chamber. Maybe just put LR rubble in the remaining chamber to unclutter the main diplay a little.

Just my $.02

You could alternate media like Carbon, Phosban, Chemipure... as needed.

Can you route the output of the powered one to the input of the unpowered one? It would slow-down the flow but make a large media chamber. Maybe just put LR rubble in the remaining chamber to unclutter the main diplay a little.

Just my $.02

Interesting thought, though I would leave out the rubble as I have a sump and fuge to keep it in.

Is there anything I could convert it to that wouldn't require me to open the thing a lot? It takes strong arms to close that thing.

If you put the live rock in it to act as sort of a remote nitrate reducer, you wouldn't have to open it as much... but you would still need to occasionally, just to remove any detritus buildup.