My 46 gal

jjv99

Hello, am somewhat new to the hobby...I hope I didn't screw this first post up. my 46 gal that started in June. From left to right ~ frogspawn, green tip torch, some Zoos, Umbrella, bubble up top, sunflower below, seabe anemone, favia moon up top (with tree anemone-type critters attached), another torch, and a green shroom that will not be convinced to attach to my rock ~ there are also two true percs swimming about (they love the anemone), an electric blue hermit (aptly named Elvis), about 10 other small reef hermits, and 6 turbo snails. Welcome all comments, questions, etc. Thanks for looking~J.

post-2631764-1227485754_thumb.jpg

Edited by jjv99

Hello, am somewhat new to the hobby...I hope I didn't screw this first post up. my 46 gal that started in June. From left to right ~ frogspawn, green tip torch, some Zoos, Umbrella, bubble up top, sunflower below, seabe anemone, favia moon up top (with tree anemone-type critters attached), another torch, and a green shroom that will not be convinced to attach to my rock ~ there are also two true percs swimming about (they love the anemone), an electric blue hermit (aptly named Elvis), about 10 other small reef hermits, and 6 turbo snails. Welcome all comments, questions, etc. Thanks for looking~J.

I'm assuming that there are supposed to be pictures in this post, but they aren't here. :unsure:

Welcome, I'm new to the hobby also and you'll find pleanty of help from this club, I know I have. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your tank and by the looks of it, you're off to a great start.

Welcome & nice tank. You might want to tell us about your equipment a-well.

Sure...I've been trying to keep it as simple as I can: Prizm hang-on protein skimmer (which I am not too crazy about, but it seems to be working just fine), Fluval 305, two Koralia powerjets (one 600 gph one 400 gph) on each side, T5 hood lighting with Actinic/Blue combo on a Coralife timer. I also have a LED strip for funky lunar effects on Friday nights!!!

Params have been constant for some time now at 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, trace (always below 12.5mg/l on tetra, but never quite 0), calcium hovers around 300-350, pH is low at 8, but its steady as can be. I tried to raise it a few times with buffer, but it doesn't move very far -- I bought two different pH test kits to make sure ;) I do 12 gallon water changes with RO water every two weeks.

Thanks for looking!!!

Looking good, do you have a closer shot of these anemone type creatures? They may be good news, or horrible news.

Hmmm...never thought of that second part. Here's a pic. What do you think?

Sorry, couldn't post the pic for some reason (probably has something to do with noob status :wacko: .) Here is a link to it on Picasa: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3VG00...key=Da03t9QApjY

Edited by jjv99

Sure...I've been trying to keep it as simple as I can: Prizm hang-on protein skimmer (which I am not too crazy about, but it seems to be working just fine), Fluval 305, two Koralia powerjets (one 600 gph one 400 gph) on each side, T5 hood lighting with Actinic/Blue combo on a Coralife timer. I also have a LED strip for funky lunar effects on Friday nights!!!

Params have been constant for some time now at 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, trace (always below 12.5mg/l on tetra, but never quite 0), calcium hovers around 300-350, pH is low at 8, but its steady as can be. I tried to raise it a few times with buffer, but it doesn't move very far -- I bought two different pH test kits to make sure ;) I do 12 gallon water changes with RO water every two weeks.

Thanks for looking!!!

Looks like you're off to a great start. Equipment wise you're fine, except watch out for that Coralife timer- reports of them catching on fire are common enough to warrant caution. Welcome to the hobby and Wamas!

Hmmm...never thought of that second part. Here's a pic. What do you think?

Sorry, couldn't post the pic for some reason (probably has something to do with noob status :wacko: .) Here is a link to it on Picasa: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3VG00...key=Da03t9QApjY

That looks like a Mojano Anemone to me.

How many of these bad boys do you have?

That looks like a Mojano Anemone to me.

How many of these bad boys do you have?

There are three of them on the back of the coral. Friend or foe?

There are three of them on the back of the coral. Friend or foe?

Pest, can get out of control if you don't manage them and they will sting. JJ (Ive killed 3 of 7 with this, the rest have lived through 5 applications) or aptasia x should work.....or cover them with a small rock, they will climb on top to get to the light than just take the small rock out. Welcome to WAMAS, and nice tank.

Pest, can get out of control if you don't manage them and they will sting. JJ (Ive killed 3 of 7 with this, the rest have lived through 5 applications) or aptasia x should work.....or cover them with a small rock, they will climb on top to get to the light than just take the small rock out. Welcome to WAMAS, and nice tank.

Thanks...you all have been a great help already!