Need help with Euroreef RS 80 skimmer

jnguyen4007

I just got a Euroreef RS 80 skimmer, I know that it's an in sump skimmer. Can someone tell me if the tube where the return water comes out of the skimmer has to above the water surface or can it be below the water surface?

It may cause a little back pressure on the skimmer causing you to have to retune it but my output has a piece of pvc with a buncha holes drilled in it for the output going under water.

It may cause a little back pressure on the skimmer causing you to have to retune it but my output has a piece of pvc with a buncha holes drilled in it for the output going under water.

the newer ER models has a riser pipe for the out put that allows air to escape upwards and water to run down. shouldn't be a problem with doing this.

I have an RS-180 that I was having some issues with. I contacted EuroReef and in the end got the impeller replaced, but during the trouble shooting ER was insistent that the output pipe had to be above the sump water level to operate correctly. As Jason indicated back pressure was the issue. In order to quiet the output, they recommended putting a filter sock or filter sponge over the output. I use a filter sock and it quiets it down nicely.

Keep in mind that if your output tube is submerged and the sump level varies, the backpressure on the skimmer also changes. This makes it very difficult to keep the skimmer optimized. Of course you may just decide to settle for "good enough".

Jon

I have an RS-180 that I was having some issues with. I contacted EuroReef and in the end got the impeller replaced, but during the trouble shooting ER was insistent that the output pipe had to be above the sump water level to operate correctly. As Jason indicated back pressure was the issue. In order to quiet the output, they recommended putting a filter sock or filter sponge over the output. I use a filter sock and it quiets it down nicely.