Kalk brand does make a difference!

lanman

Just an FYI - an observation.

I have been using regular mississippi lime - big-bag, unknown brand for over a year. With the kalk stirrer freshly filled, during the lights-on period, pH would climb to 8.25, and in the dark would drop to 7.95.

I just added ESV kalkwasser powder a few days ago. Now - it climbs to 8.5 during the day, and 8.1 at night.

All of my aiptasia died instantly, my corals grew an inch overnight, and the green hair algae is falling off in sheets! (Okay - I made that part up....)

bob

Anyone use Ball's Pickling Lime?

i'm pretty sure that ball's stopped making it. unless it came back on the market recently, i havn't seen it on the shelves in about 2+ years

I got away from any of those lime products a while ago, and went to the ESV and or Kent, or Brightwell, and the difference was huge! higher, more stable ph, corals color up and grow, and the stuff actually disolves when its done, you should not have a grey matter that does not disolve in your kalk stirer.

john

When was the last time you cleaned & calibrated your pH meter?

There are only a couple of companies that make food grade lime. The process is expensive. I believe that most of the aquarium suppliers purchase their lime from Mississippi Lime Co. I have read that their is now an European source.

Edited by Highland Reefer

So where can we get this magical ESV high pH no grey matter forming powder?

If the average "joe the plumber" added the amount of calcium hydroxide(kalkwasser) he thought would mix into solution, AND STAY in solution, he would have very little grey matter forming in his reactor. This applies to "hers" as well.

A typical ROT is 1/8 tsp. or less will dissolve per gallon and stay in solution, the rest falls to the bottom as precipitant. Unless that mixed in the presence of air, or became the crust (calcium carbonate) often found on the surface during mixing, it will return to solution several times, but not indefinitely. Enter grey matter forming on the bottom.

The glass like shards from the "crust" is calcium carbonate which is what tears up power head impellers. This will not re dissolve in a high pH situation found in kalk reactors.

The notion of adding a full cup, to several cups of kalk to a reactor "to start" and not adding for a month is the biggest problem most will face with what ever your choice of powder is. Keeping it recharged weekly or more often with less powder is far better if you are worried you are not preforming at these high pH's.

Maybe this magical powder has some of that stuff the guy in china was selling for $1 #. [saturday post A1] "Retracing the path Toxic powder took to food in China".

Melamine mimiced a protien that made even inferior milk pass government standards. :biggrin:

BTW. the "no name" kalk clearly has a name as indicated on the package.

i'm pretty sure that ball's stopped making it. unless it came back on the market recently, i havn't seen it on the shelves in about 2+ years

Bought it couple years ago when I had 72g. Never opened it so I assume it still good.

So where can we get this magical ESV high pH no grey matter forming powder?

If the average "joe the plumber" added the amount of calcium hydroxide(kalkwasser) he thought would mix into solution, AND STAY in solution, he would have very little grey matter forming in his reactor. This applies to "hers" as well.

A typical ROT is 1/8 tsp. or less will dissolve per gallon and stay in solution, the rest falls to the bottom as precipitant. Unless that mixed in the presence of air, or became the crust (calcium carbonate) often found on the surface during mixing, it will return to solution several times, but not indefinitely. Enter grey matter forming on the bottom.

The glass like shards from the "crust" is calcium carbonate which is what tears up power head impellers. This will not re dissolve in a high pH situation found in kalk reactors.

The notion of adding a full cup, to several cups of kalk to a reactor "to start" and not adding for a month is the biggest problem most will face with what ever your choice of powder is. Keeping it recharged weekly or more often with less powder is far better if you are worried you are not preforming at these high pH's.

Maybe this magical powder has some of that stuff the guy in china was selling for $1 #. [saturday post A1] "Retracing the path Toxic powder took to food in China".

Melamine mimiced a protien that made even inferior milk pass government standards. :biggrin:

BTW. the "no name" kalk clearly has a name as indicated on the package.

I have not had any problems with precipitation, or with 'grey matter' left in the bottom of the kalk stirrer, using the standard lime. The only difference seen is the pH. Of course - I just put it in a few days ago. I try to add a few 'coffee measure' spoonfuls each week - but sometimes I forget, and it gets down to where there's no powder left on the bottom. OR grey stuff. I'm not a chemist - I don't know what's in it, and don't really care. Just making an observation.

bob