Pickling Lime

quazi

I am running out of pickling lime.  Does anyone know where to find it this time of year?  I tried Southern States in Leesburg, but no dice.

Guest cbo

I got my last container at the safeway in the plaza with the outback resturant on braddock road.  I have a feeling I am butchering the spelling in this.  Also, I would bet my eye teeth that the Super H Mart on 29/50 has it, that is the new asian super market near where P.T. moran used to be, it is now petco, just west of the tasty '29' diner.

cbo

Just to add a quick note. I have looked for this stuff all over the bmore area and came up empty handed. After i moved to Mt Airy I was browsing in Safeway and came across a case of it on the shelf.  Quazi if you can make it with what you have until the next meeting, i can buy out what they have and bring it to you? Just let me know and ill make sure they still have it. I have 4 cans myself sitting here, plus a 3lb tub I got from Mississippi lime.

Thanks,

Mike

Kabala,

THANKS!  I will let you know if I can hold out that long.  However, I may fall a little short.

Anyone else know if anyplace in the Loudoun/Herndon VA Area?? ???

I finally order it on line from yahoo shopping.  $1.87/lb.  Not too bad.  I looked every where.  It is just the wrong time of year to be looking for canning products.

I dropped by MS and found it for 4 onces for $9.99.  I little much. :angry:   Anyway, I am just about out and need it ASAP.  I can hold out for a week or so for delivery.

KABALA (Mike), thanks for your gesture.  I picked up 4 lbs, so I should be stocked up for a while  :p   I hope!

I just bought a can at the safeway across from Shady Grove hospital in Maryland.  They had at least 10 more cans.

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues...

I mail ordered some Mrs. Wages pickling lime.  It comes in bags, which is not as nice as the "Balls" canister.  Also, I noticed that it had a slight green tint.  I thought that might be from the green package, but it was not the ultra white like I saw with Balls.

Anyway, I mixed up the lime with the vinegar and poured it in to my dripping jug.  There was left over "sand" in the dixie cup I use to mix the kalk and vinegar!!! ???  It looked like metal shavings  :O.

Has anyone seen this?  I quit using Mrs. Wages, and tossed out the rest of my suppy (4 bags!)  I found some Balls pickling lime in VA Beach over the weekend, so I am in good shape with kalk.

My tank appears to be OK, but I am worried that I may have added some metals to my tank.

Are there any Mrs. Wages users out there?

Actually, I used Mrs Wages for months and mine was pure white. No problems with it. I did see some black metal shavings in the stir bar of my kalk reactor, but I have had the same experience with it  as did a ton of people in RC and reefs.org with balls and kent kalk.

Alberto

I've been using Mrs. Wages picked up from Southern States for a while now.  I can tell when it is time to reload my kalk reactor when the stuff turns grey.  It never was fully white, nor does it appear to fully dissolve.

I am also having a pretty BIG phosphate problem.  Reefmon and I were discussing if this stuff is the cause.  Some Kalk calls itself "phosphate free".  Wondering if Mrs. Wages is contributing to my problem.

Gonna get some kalk from TRT to see if it can help alleviate the problem of phosphates.  Anyone else see where the brand of kalk can cause a phosphate problem?

s

BTW, the grey stuff left over looks more like sand than metal shavings.  Gritty.  I usually empty the reactor of all water and rinse out this junk before re-loading w/more Mrs. Wages.

Inexpensive may not be the savings it purports to be, if the phosphate problem is real.  What do you think the grey stuff is?  I just thought it was lime (looking like cement) that would not dissolve for some reason.

s

This is completely the opposite of my experience though. I never get any deposits and mine dissolves completely. Actually, I reload my kalk reactor when it is completely out of media and not because it has changed colors or anything else.

Guest snapper

Kalk should continue to dissolve in a reactor unless there is a high amount of dissolved co2, which can be alleviated by aerating make-up water going into it.  RO water usually has a pH low enough to facilitate dissolution.  A higher inlet temp helps as well.

Kalk should not "cause" phosphate problems, it should help cure it.  Kalk dosing precipitates phosphate.  If a system has a continually high reading, the source must be from make up water, over-feeding, or overloading.  Phosphate is present in nearly everything, including the air around the house.

IMO, "the" long term phosphate fix is a good RO unit, and a big refugium lighted 24/7.

Back to topic, Food Lion carries Balls lime as well.

Eric

As I am "back to Balls" :p , I see no grit or anything left over when I dissolve the kalk w/ vinegar.  It appears Balls is purer, but to truely know that, someone would have to run a real chemical analysis.

Michael G, sounds like something up your alley  :laugh:

Guest snapper

WEll done, well done!!!!

My Balls tends to jump out of its container and wander all about the house when agitated.