Which test kits are worth owning?

SeanCallan

This isn't so much about the brand of the test kit but rather which test kits you keep around.

I primarily use Salifert kits:

Calcium

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrates

Phosphates

pH

What do most members keep around? Do you prefer to have an LFS test your water?

I wouldn't have an LFS test my water, I prefer to be able to do it myself, can do it at anytime that is convenient. I only take it to an LFS if I have a reason to doubt my test and want to verify the results.

That being said, I test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate during initial set up/cycle. After that I wouldn't bother unless I have an event that might kick off a new cycle. I would still always keep the kits on hand as a sanity check. Just remember to replace them if they get past their shelf life. If you know that your nitrates run high, then you will need to test for that regularly. I don't tend to have a nitrate problem.

If you are keeping coral, then I would have pH, alkalinity, and calcium test kits. There are those who recommend testing for magnesium as well. I've never tested for magnesium (perhaps I should).

If you dose with copper in any system, you will need the appropriate copper test kit.

Anything else you are dosing in your system, you would be well advised to have a test kit to know if you are getting the correct dosage.

Edited by lmeyer

I wouldn't have an LFS test my water, I prefer to be able to do it myself, can do it at anytime that is convenient. I only take it to an LFS if I have a reason to doubt my test and want to verify the results.

That being said, I test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate during initial set up/cycle. After that I wouldn't bother unless I have an event that might kick off a new cycle. I would still always keep the kits on hand as a sanity check. Just remember to replace them if they get past their shelf life. If you know that your nitrates run high, then you will need to test for that regularly. I don't tend to have a nitrate problem.

If you are keeping coral, then I would have pH, alkalinity, and calcium test kits. There are those who recommend testing for magnesium as well. I've never tested for magnesium (perhaps I should).

If you dose with copper in any system, you will need the appropriate copper test kit.

Anything else you are dosing in your system, you would be well advised to have a test kit to know if you are getting the correct dosage.

I see a lot of people recommending; Magnesium, Silicate, and Strontium though I've never tested any of these three.

Went ahead and picked up new kits to get myself ready for my new tank. I have some old kits but I'd rather start fresh and not worry about them being close to their shelf life.

http://www.reefgeek.com/product/Marine_Adv...Kit_by_Salifert

Performs: 100-200 alkalinity, 50 ammonia, 50 copper, 50 nitrate, 50 nitrite, and 50 pH tests.

http://www.reefgeek.com/product/Reef_Basic...Kit_by_Salifert

Performs: 50 calcium, 40 iodine, and 60 phosphate tests.

I think I've got all my angles covered. Does anyone test for Mag, Silicate, and some of the other less frequently mentioned kits?

The tests that I use most frequently are: Alk, Calcium, pH and Magnesium. I also have, but use far less frequently, silica, phosphate, iodine, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.kits.

Edited by Origami2547