Touch tank for Kennedy Krieger classroom

Smoothtriqueter

Let me start out by saying I hope this is the right spot for this thread; otherwise please move it wherever and I will follow.

I have had FW setups in school growing up and never saw any salt water stuff. We were also never encouraged to mess with or touch anything in or near the tank. Well I have had my own FW and now have jumped into the marine world and would love to share my own education and enjoyment with others. My GF (not yet a WAMAS member) works with the Kennedy Krieger Institute. She does instructional therapy with children with autism. This condition is associated with heightened levels of stimulation, so colors, textures and sounds are a big part of their expression. She has spoken with the classroom teacher and they have agreed that if it isn't going to be too much care and if it is safe that a tank in the classroom would be okay. :clap:

While at Aquaco for the social someone was purchasing a whole bunch of chocolate chip starfish, Sean so graciously explained that they were for a touch tank! My GF and I thought that it would be a great idea for her kids! The sound of running water (via HOB filtration) and the rubbery flesh of starfish to touch and observe; what could be better. I offered up my abilities right away and here I am on WAMAS.

I have a few questions, a bunch of requests for items and just plain opening this up to hopefully fallow along with the tank and kids as it gets set up. First, as do many school setups, I need your help. WAMAS has been great to me as a member and I have seen some great dedication to the education programs. I have a short list of equipment that would be needed (if I have left something out that you think I may need for this please let me know):

Equipment

-10g or 15g tank

-lid/light

-HOB filter

-Sand

-LR

-Heater

-Would an air pump and stone be necessary?

Livestock

-3 or 4 Chocolate chip starfish

-few snails (keep it clean and you can still touch a rough hard shell)

That is all I have on my list for now (everything needed although I may be able to find an old tank at my parents house this weekend).

Okay now because I am only a novice myself, calling all pros! :why: I wanted to look into if there is a hardy enough, touch safe, easy care urchin? I know several are not poisonous just don't now the best choice for my project. I was also wondering if anyone knows if you can grow leathers under the lights that would come with a new 10g if bought at Petco; just the standard FW tank light! I figured a nice hardy leather would provide another texture and some more visual stimuli. That would be all that I would plan on putting in as I would not be able to visit it much and would need to instruct my GF on how to care (hopefully just feeding and water changes)!

We both appreciate any help and will keep everyone updated on how the tank is and how the children are interacting with it, once set up!

Edited by Smoothtriqueter

If you want an urchin in a touch tank, I would go with a pencil urchin, they dont have many spikes, and they aren't very sharp. Also, for a touch tank, I would think something like a stock tank as they have a bigger surface area and aren't as tall. If you don't want to go with something like a 50 gallon rubbermaid one, tractor supply also has smaller 30 gallon ones. Also, for a touch tank, I would put a large(ish) sump on it and keep all of the live rock in there along with a slightly oversized skimmer to get the extra gunk out from hands in the tank. In the actuall touch tank, I would just have a 1-2 inch sand bed and maybe a few fake things like what you would usually put in FW tanks. This would make it easier to "touch" everything and you could keep a small horseshoe crab in there as well. large conches would be a good idea too. Just my gallery_2631577_443_148.jpg. Wish I could help but I'm setting up a school tank too... good luck and great idea.

I think he nailed it go with something short and shallow and wide if you want to save money go with a grey rubbermaid bin. If you want to go for looks go for a 30 or 40 breeder.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the footprint I am going to have is going to be quite small. I understand that a normal 10g is too tall but I was going to do a a nice DSB to raise the level and add the LR as another platform up! I have a Ball Python at home in 40g breeder and she is saying NO, NO, NO, so too big. These are small hands on classrooms, so there is limited space. If it doesn't seem possible to do in a small tank i guess I should know that too! Also there isn't going to be able to be a fuge, I could have a small HOB skimmer running on it to keep the gunk under control.

Again thank you for the suggestions and good luck on your school tank!

I agree with everyone else. A shallow tank would be better than a deep one. When you mentioned the urchin, I immediatly thought a pencil urchin. A horseshoe crab sounds really cool, but you are going to need a deep sandbed and room for it to go around (your liverock is going to have to be in small quantities). You could put most of the live rock in a sump and conserve space in the tank. Personally, I would not put a coral in there. My reasons?

1. Touching a coral would aggrivate it and it could slime up.

2. Coral slime on a little kid's hands doesn't sound like a good idea.

3. You would need a good light to keep the coral alive and if you are going to just have a HOB filter this could be a problem because...

a.) More water changes to avoid nutrient problems (I'm really lazy)

b.) You wouldn't want that tank to look my HOB nightmare (I'm really really lazy)

gallery_2631686_465_115349.jpg

Just my imput. :)

I hope the touch tank goes well. Please keep us posted on the progress.

Ok, so it sounds like the shallower the better. I can't do a 40 breeder and was thinking I would like to keep it clear, IE acrylic or glass, to still have the visual appeal as well. How hard and how costly would it be to build a shallow acrylic tank, kinda like people do for custom sumps? Anyone who can do this?

So, say I were going to have my own tank made. 20''Lx20''W, this is basically a 10g just deeper to make it a square. Than what hight would I want to do?

I might be wrong, and EXTREMLY WRONG, but if I did remeber my studies in bio autististic children are prown to allergies SALTWATER corals can be very VERY bad if your allergic to them... other then that I touch my corals sometimes for grins as long as they get alone time too and you pick the hardier varieties they should be ok:) Just a thought I was having when reading your post I could be 100% wrong and if I am sorry to everyone that my ignorance offends if anyone:) oh and I would defently put in narrasius snails they look like ghosts and the way they come out of the sand bed is cool! Additionally, Is there any reason your only doing a 10 gallon? 20-30 gallons is much more stable and easier to manage. IMOP Also make sure everything is grounded and SAFE I eletricuted myself several times in this hobby:(.

Thanks for the comments. I have definitely decided to not add any form of coral, for a number o reasons. I am only doing a 10g because of the size of space that I have to work with. I would love to do one bigger but really can't the classrooms are small and very "hands on".

I am still trying to get final Okays from everyone on this, but I have had fun planning it all I might have to try and set one up for myself if this falls through. I'll keep everyone posted.

It is an option, but sounds like a very short term deal. I was looking for something more permanent that I could bring home and plug in during the vacations and stuff (play with at home :biggrin: )

Drew up a plan! I have not been able to get in touch with NAGA about making a small acrylic tank for me. If anyone knows his info and can help me out, or if you read this. I would like to know the costs of a 20''x20'' base with about a 6-8" depth!

Rough sketch to give an idea of my plans

gallery_2631692_500_138522.jpg

If I do add a light a may do a kenya tree coral. It will be hardy enough to be touched and will help with nitrates too, I think!

You looking to go rimless or what? I think you might be able to put one together pretty cheap out of acrylic. Let me know I could help

Thats what I was thinking. I'll talk to you tomorrow!

I don't know if this will help, but I'm getting 2 tanks (45L and 55L) and a black steel stand back. They are the heavy duty and can withstand much use. One has been nicely modded for a corner drain. Both fit together on a compact black steel frame. The smaller tanks blue back wall paint is coming off but otherwise everything is sound. If this would interest you please LMK. I would be glad to donate it to Kennedy- Krieger as they've done so much for the Down's Syndrome community!

Edited by hbh

I don't know if this will help, but I'm getting 2 tanks (45L and 55L) and a black steel stand back. They are the heavy duty and can withstand much use. One has been nicely modded for a corner drain. Both fit together on a compact black steel frame. The smaller tanks blue back wall paint is coming off but otherwise everything is sound. If this would interest you please LMK. I would be glad to donate it to Kennedy- Krieger as they've done so much for the Down's Syndrome community!

I want to start by saying thank you very much for your offer. The tanks you have available are going to be way to big for the space I am going to be allowed. I will most likely be making my own tank. If the tanks are still for donation I would put them up in the first pinned thread so that other educational opportunities may come. Thanks again.