Zoa Issues!

onux20

I think I have Zoa pox. I read a few of the old posts and I am fairly certain that is the correct diagnosis. I want to try the freshwater-lugols dip this weekend. I have to go out and buy a small tank and heater to accomplish this. Does anyone have any other advice on how to cure?

Before 24 Aug

gallery_656_365_21615.jpg

gallery_656_365_4464.jpg

Now

gallery_656_365_16616.jpg

gallery_656_365_9727.jpg

gallery_656_365_7895.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

Ron

Edited by onux20

Use furan2 , search on the net. It will solve your issue. I have used it with great success.

the fresh water lugols dip will not work as well as furan2. I have done both and lugols did not work for me.

Use furan2 , search on the net. It will solve your issue. I have used it with great success.

the fresh water lugols dip will not work as well as furan2. I have done both and lugols did not work for me.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone know a local vendor?

Ron

Gotta look into getting some of that stuff. I've definitely had some zoas look like that before. I've just let them go and the leftovers usually repopulate the area.

How do you use the furan stuff??

it real easy. they come in capsules, you pull apart the capsule and dump the powder in ro or ro/di water for about 10 mins. I put a heater in the water to keep it at the same temp as tank water, i also added a small powerhead to move the water and adjusted the ph to match the tank water as well. I think i would put 10 capsules in about 5 cups of water? i forget the amount. I also read that it works better in the dark so i would put a towel over the bucket to keep it dark. work well for in with 2 treatments.

I have a package of them

it real easy. they come in capsules, you pull apart the capsule and dump the powder in ro or ro/di water for about 10 mins. I put a heater in the water to keep it at the same temp as tank water, i also added a small powerhead to move the water and adjusted the ph to match the tank water as well. I think i would put 10 capsules in about 5 cups of water? i forget the amount. I also read that it works better in the dark so i would put a towel over the bucket to keep it dark. work well for in with 2 treatments.

Fresh water or salt water?

The Furan 2 should work out for you. I picked up mine at Aquaco, it came it packs and was a powder solution, there weren't any capsules. It stopped the progression and some of the polyps started making a comeback after treatment. I used it in a 2.5 gallon tank with salt water from my main tank, let it sit for about 20 minutes, rinsed with new salt water and placed back into main tank. Very good article on zoa pox treatment....zoa pox

I treated my zoa's for 3 successive days and it cured my problem. I never had to do a second 3 day treatment.

The Furan 2 should work out for you. I picked up mine at Aquaco, it came it packs and was a powder solution, there weren't any capsules. It stopped the progression and some of the polyps started making a comeback after treatment. I used it in a 2.5 gallon tank with salt water from my main tank, let it sit for about 20 minutes, rinsed with new salt water and placed back into main tank. Very good article on zoa pox treatment....zoa pox

I treated my zoa's for 3 successive days and it cured my problem. I never had to do a second 3 day treatment.

Blaze,

Thanks for the article. I will give it a go this weekend.

Looks like I have to make another trip out to Sean's. Darn!

Ron

woo hoo !! I contribute to that Zoa Pox cure...im so proud !! :bb: but yeah Furan 2 works really well with pox

After battling zoa eating nudibranchs that came in on some live rock for 2 months, this thread actually made me realize that I also have zoa pox! I had been thinking that the white spots on my colonies were a by-product of the nudibranch eggs, or the adults chowing down. I have been battling the nudibranchs by picking them and their eggs off with tweezers, but I would like to try a Lugol's dip to kill any remaining adults. I also want to do the Furan 2 dip tomorrow, now that I know what the white spots on the zoas are. Does anyone think I can do both in the same day, or will it stress the zoas out too much?

Started treatment today. I did not realize how bad it was until I took out the big rock that used to be covered with polyps! Man it looks bad. I will keep you posted....if you care! :lol2:

Ron

I treated all my zoas with furan-2 last week, Sun-Weds, . So far a few have come back. The large rock of purple/green zoas still looks sick. Everyday, a few more polyps but far short of where it started before the outbreak. I'll see what this week brings. I may try again.

Ron

Are they contagious between zoas? I just had a frag go down to what I think are pox and was wondering if I should be concerned for my other few zoa frags (not touching the almost dead frag just in the tank)?

Are they contagious between zoas? I just had a frag go down to what I think are pox and was wondering if I should be concerned for my other few zoa frags (not touching the almost dead frag just in the tank)?

I am not 100% sure. But it did appear that zoas that were not in physical contact with my big rock started showing symptoms also. I just treated them all just to be safe.

Ron

That's interesting to hear. I had a zoa frag come in with zoa pox.. and I did not know about this treatment. It could have helped.

Goodluck with your zoas.

• 1 month later...

Random update.

Furan 2 worked well. No more pox. Only issue is I had a beauuuutiful deep blue zoa I had just picked up from BRK. Good news is I now have two...bad news is they are completely colorless. :cry:

I did the treatment sans light so they faded. Anyone now how to get them to color back up?

Ron

Random update.

Furan 2 worked well. No more pox. Only issue is I had a beauuuutiful deep blue zoa I had just picked up from BRK. Good news is I now have two...bad news is they are completely colorless. :cry:

I did the treatment sans light so they faded. Anyone now how to get them to color back up?

Ron

Random update.

Ron

When you come over to pick up the ones from the auction, I have a few blue ones available too.