Powers head quesrions

reefchick

I have one power head in my 12 gallon, but not sure if its enough. I have a cyno bloom on the opposite side so circulation may be the problem.

How many powers heads should I have and how should I place them and direct the flow?

Thanks!

Depends on the kind of power head you have, you probably have something like a maxijet or penguin power head some thing along those lines. They're good for things like supplying uv sterilizers, skimmers, fluidized reactors... but with the advances in aquarium rechnology they're just not the greatest thing for intank circulation these days.

What you'd want to look into are Hydor korlia power heads or something like a SEIO power head (one of the smaller ones of course). These are prop driven power heads rather than impeller driven. It gives them three very distinc advantages.

They are lower volatage because of lower resistance of the prop (saves power, adds less heat to the tank),

they are far more powerful than standard power heads (that is the push much more GPH but aren't verymuch bigger than regular power heads)

and lastly they have a wider flow pattern (so instead of a concentrated stream blasting one part of your tank you have a more powerful but more dispersed/wider flow so not just one "stream" is recieving flow)

Another option is a Tunze Nanostream. Size would depend on how much flow you want to add. I used to run two MJ 1200's on a wavetimer, but two MJ's take up alot of real estate in an already small space.

Never mind...just noticed you have a 12g tank. Look into a minijet or a microjet. Both are very small and flow can be adjusted. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=Maxijet

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

When I had my 12 g aquapod set up..used loc line with the splitter, one was pointed towards the surface and one pointed towards the bottom. One the other side of the tank had a Koralia Nano, which you can adjust the direction on. Had really good flow.

What voltage do they run on?

The old ones are AC the point is

KORALIA 1

400 GPH

3.5 Wwhere as

Maxijet 1200 295 gph 20 Watts

Less watts = less heat + less power draw

My 12gal Aquapod has been running 79-82 deg. A little hot for such a small tank. I took the locline splitter off the return and the current has nearly doubled! I also removed the Rio 90 and the temp is now 76-77 degrees.

Have flow issues in my BC29 also. You really need to play with the flow nozzles until they are optimal. The Koralia nano will be plenty for your tank!

Edited by sen5241b

I've decided to go with the Koralia nano.

I see them online for good prices.

Thanks everyone.

My 12gal Aquapod has been running 79-82 deg. A little hot for such a small tank. I took the locline splitter off the return and the current has nearly doubled! I also removed the Rio 90 and the temp is now 76-77 degrees.

My tank is running at the same temp.

Too warm?