Blastomussa blues

FishWife

I have a blastomussa that I love.

redblastomussa.jpg

I got it about a month ago, and it's slowly fading away.

Center bottom, in this full tank shot.

FTS8-16-08.jpg

As you can see: I have it on the sand down low, and near a ledge. Flow is pretty low... For awhile he was doing well, but I'm really worried about it. It's definitely receding. Pretty soon, I'm going to need to find a good home for it so it doesn't die unless I can figure out its problem. Assume all my levels are good, since I do good maintenance and everyone else in the tank is dandy. Does anyone have blastos that can give me any advice?

Edited by FishWife

never had them but heard from others that had the same problem. They just seem to fade away

Are you target feeding? Before mine fell over and got in an all day fight with my torch, it was doing very well. I was target feeding misus daily.

Marcia,

Are you target feeding at all? Although not necessary, they often respond very well to target feeding. We're feeding mysis shrimp and/or cyclopeeze a couple of times a week and ours are currently thriving (knock on wooden tank stand)......

Maureen

I would also ask 1) how much light it's getting (looks like it's kind of under a ledge?) and 2) whether that frogspawn can reach it. The one I got from Howard is doing great, and gets direct light (though it's low in the sand). It's beautiful - hope it perks up.

I would also ask 1) how much light it's getting (looks like it's kind of under a ledge?) and 2) whether that frogspawn can reach it. The one I got from Howard is doing great, and gets direct light (though it's low in the sand). It's beautiful - hope it perks up.

Thanks, all! Will try target feeding. I think that under the ledge is the right place from all I've read: they grow under ledges in the wild, right? And no, the frogspawn doesn't get to it. I've watched at all times of the day on that one. At night, no tentacles from this variety; it closes up tight and sleeps. I'm thinking of moving it to the AP12 I have for TLC. Lower flow and only actinic lights.

Only other idea: could flow be too strong or too laminar? In this small tank, the flow bounces off the front glass and doesn't "mix" as we could get it to do in the big tank. What kind of flow do those of you who have one use?

Edited by FishWife

I know Tropicorium in Michigan, ran by **** Perrin, who is a pioneer in this hobby has grown alot and sell these. Between him and his son (Ray) they have over 60 years experience in this hobby, they can probably give you some good advice.

Here is the company's phone 734-782-2622.

Retail and Wholesale

Mon-Sat - 11a.m. - 5p.m.

Sun - 12p.m. - 5p.m

You're right that blastomussas tend to prefer relatively low light levels, but I've had them out in the open and they do fine there too. They also prefer lower flow, but anything that doesn't irritate their polyps is fine too.

Is the area of recession in a particular area of the coral? I would expect it to recede first along the bottom of the coral where it gets the least light. The coral looks pretty good in the pictures, but of course I don't know what the "before" looks like.

Jon

You're right that blastomussas tend to prefer relatively low light levels, but I've had them out in the open and they do fine there too. They also prefer lower flow, but anything that doesn't irritate their polyps is fine too.

Is the area of recession in a particular area of the coral? I would expect it to recede first along the bottom of the coral where it gets the least light. The coral looks pretty good in the pictures, but of course I don't know what the "before" looks like.

Jon

Good info, Jon. The above pictures *are* the "before" shots a month ago. I'll take a good long look at the areas receding today and see if I can grab a quick photo. It seemed that the ones will less light were happiest at first. You may be right; it would be an easy experiment to bring them more into the light for sure.

Edited by FishWife

Just an update for future blastomussa fans...

No pic, but we moved it to our 12g AP, which has PCs and low flow and they've perked up significantly over the weekend. Also target feeding baby brine each evening!

Crossing our fingers! :wig: We'll see how it goes.