Washing filter socks

jamesbuf

I've always just used mine for a month and thrown them away. I used to clean them with the hose, but it clogged up again in no time, so I didn't both with the hassle. I'm wondering what techniques others use to get more life out their filter socks? I remember someone saying something about washing them in their clothes washer. Who has done this, and how did you go about making sure they were safe to use in your aquarium again?

James,

1. Melt any loose strings at the bottom of the sock to prevent unraveling.

1.5 Invert socks inside out!

2. Put in washing machine - prefer standard vs. frontloading for this.

3. Run through a rinse cycle. cold/cold

3. Add Clorox bleach and soak for 1 hr.

4. Run through the full wash cycles (2-3) cold/cold

5. Use again and again in reef system.

NOTE: new filter socks should be washed as they can make your skimmer go beserk with foam -> read...massive overflow.

Edited by NRehman

Yeah, I always rinse the new socks before use. Been there, done that, with the consequences of not doing so.

Thanks for the instructions. So I'm taking it that you wait until you have many of them dirty until you run a load, which means the socks have time to dry up while being dirty. Even after letting them dry and set, they still come all the way clean for you? No detergent correct, only bleach? Wasn't sure since you were rinsing so many times. Even if some remnant bleach is on the socks, the bleach will evaporate from the socks right?

Thanks for the input.

P.S. Don't let your family read this, they'll figure out that smell in the house is coming from the dirty filter socks laying around :biggrin:

I have about 30 of the light-weight socks. I change them as soon as they start 'backing up' - usually about 4 days. I put the dirty ones in a bucket. When I have about 20 or so dirty ones - I just run them through the wash cycle. The clean ones are in another bucket.

But right now - I'm trying NO filter socks to see if it helps with nitrates. It's been about a week.

bob

I used to wash my filter socks with bleach only. Then I tried washing them with no bleach and no detergent, and found they come out almost as clean as when I used the bleach.

Now I wash them with water only.

Jon

I did and now do just as Jon does (water only in the washing machine). My socks are of the felt variety. I do make sure that they're turned inside out, though, before I wash them.

Edited by Origami2547

James,

I do use bleach to kill any bacteria.....I don't have a dedicated "fish" washing machine and don't want gunk all over the place. Like the others, I accumulate the socks for a the laundry. One idea which I am going to implement is storing the socks in a bucket with diluted bleach so I can close the LID and not have gunk growing!!! :-)

I use them for two days or so, turn them inside out, and then run them in the front loading wash machine on hot. They seem to work just as well after that. I wait until they are all dirty to wash them. I don't always run them but I do like to run them after a tank cleaning.

And I did the "don't rinse them before first use drill as well". I freaked, cursed loulym, panicked of course and ripped down the whole sump, skimmer, etc. I think cleaned it all and stood it back up. None of the foam got into the display - not sure if it really mattered though. Fun times. Nothing died other than the sump pods.

Edited by bshriver

Socks aren't designed for reuse, so whatever extended life you get out of them is bonus. The single-ply socks will wash a lot better than the felt type.

Commercially, the labor and capital equipment costs of washing them exceeds the initial cost. (In quantity, washing filter socks is rough on your washing machine.)

As NRehman mentioned, melting any loose threads will do wonders to keep the socks from unraveling.

Bleach probably isn't going to shorten the life of poly socks much - the material was selected for harsher environments than a washing machine.

A little bleach probably isn't much of a danger to your tank anyway -3-6% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) in pure bleach, so after diluting in the wash, rinsing, and spinning, you have tiny amounts of very dilute Na, Cl, and O and will consume a few H+ ions. But go to the Reef Chemistry forum if you want to know how much bleach is safe to add to your tank.

I add baking soda to the wash and vinager to the rinse and I just put a dab of super glue on the end to prevent them from unraveling.

I add baking soda to the wash and vinager to the rinse and I just put a dab of super glue on the end to prevent them from unraveling.

Pat, this is truly the best method I have ever heard for filter socks. It's not a new idea but a very overlooked and simple one.

In a shack, on a dirt road somehwere high in the WV hills

Bless your heart.

Bless your heart.

Not a shack but it is in the hills on a dirt road :biggrin: just ask MrTang or CHUBAKAH, they helped me move the tank in and had fun using their GPS to find the house. I'm out in Harpers Ferry, WV, a real hillbilly.

Not a shack but it is in the hills on a dirt road :biggrin: just ask MrTang or CHUBAKAH, they helped me move the tank in and had fun using their GPS to find the house. I'm out in Harpers Ferry, WV, a real hillbilly.

Speaking of which, when we having that shack warming tank tour party?

:biggrin:

Edited by CHUBAKAH

Speaking of which, when we having that shack warming tank tour party?

:biggrin:

Hopefully before it snows :lol: but you think people would make it up here?