Ricordea Yuma problems

zygote2k

I recently purchased a Ricordea Yuma rock with about 30+ polyps. It looked fine for about 2 days and then each polyp began to express a clump of mucus like material from the mouth. They have also drastically diminished in size too. Their overall appearance is not at all good. When purchased, they were under 400w mh similar to mine. I have excellent water quality and no predators or coral eaters present.

Has anyone witnessed anything like this? Hope this wasn't a $100 lesson to learn...

What did you do when adjusting them to your tank? Hows yoru salinity? Also how long do you run your lights? And lastly what color? I can spare one if they die off.

try putting them at the bottom in case it is a light issue, possibly shading some if you can. I doubt its a light issue but this will eliminate it as a possibility. Do you have other corals? It could just be a water parameter problem if these are your first ones.

I have many corals like shrooms (hairy,frilly), zoas, anthelia, xenia, neon sinularia, neon montipora, gsp, neon sarco, RBTA, LTA, etc. All corals are thriving and grow rapidly. Salinity is at 1.027, nitrates between 10 and 20 ppm, temp 77, alk 5 meq. ca=410. Tons of various macros, lots of copepods, coralline rapidly growing. The only fish are an Engineer goby and a Maroon Clown. 1 cleaner shrimp and the usual assortment of janitors. Power compacts run approx. 12 hrs and 400w mh about 8. I run an LED on rdp for the refugium.

The ricordea don't seem to be expelling their zoothanthellae; just a big mucus mass. The colors are almost the same as new: rainbow-ish, red and green. I guess I could try to shade them- it's kind of difficult in the 40.

Honestly... anyone know why Yuma's might 'fade'??

I have had some green on purple yuma's in my frag tank for a year - they have thrived. In the last two months, they have been shrinking. No changes to the tank setup at all.

bob

I recently purchased a Ricordea Yuma rock with about 30+ polyps. It looked fine for about 2 days and then each polyp began to express a clump of mucus like material from the mouth. They have also drastically diminished in size too. Their overall appearance is not at all good. When purchased, they were under 400w mh similar to mine. I have excellent water quality and no predators or coral eaters present.

Has anyone witnessed anything like this? Hope this wasn't a $100 lesson to learn...

I did some research on various web sites, and I can't remember for the life of me but they talked about Ricordea's and there feeding behaviors. Long story short, that mucus is basically there waste being expelled. Apparently there like anemone when it comes to feeding. There mouth is the feeding portal, digestive system and finally the rectum all in one. So I think it might have been dropping a "deuce", and that mucus stuff could have been what you saw.

Well that is the best this non-marine biologist can say.

This is different. Definitely not dropping a deuce. This mucus mass is almost as big as the individual polyps'.

It expells it over 2 or 3 days. A healthy shroom, ric, or anemone expells waste without losing shape or size.

Do you run any carbon on your system? You have a couple of chemical warfare soft corals listed in your stock list. Also, are you certain that nothing is stinging them? You have a few anemones listed as well. I would also try a dip to see what comes off of them when you do. You can never be too certain that you have no pests until you treat for them.

this sounds a bit like the mucus that was appearing around DaveS's zoas when he was fragging - in that case, it was an infection of sorts and higher flow was the prescribed remedy. Just an idea ....

So no deuce.........? Well I have five in my tank, with a RTBA and GTBA kinda has me thinking mine that they might go in to warfare if I'm not careful. I run carbon and phospate remover in my reactor no problems.

Edited by reefmontalvo

I'm running carbon in the sump. The Ricordea is by itself with nothing touching it. I placed it near the outflow of the eductor. It's not real strong current that washes over the rock, but a nice steady flow.