Anyone ever use "Marco Rocks"?

CHUBAKAH

I saw that Marco Rocks has dry base on sale right now for .89 cents. Curious if any of you have used them in the past, and what your experience was with them, and of course the quality of the rock it's self?

Also, if there is any interest, I may put together a group buy.

Holla

:smokin:

Do a search on WAMAS for "marco" and you will find lots of posts about people's experience with them (all positive from what I can tell).

Agreed. I know many people here and over on Cmas that have used them with great success. You just gotta be willing to give the rock a few months to colonize. I got a piece way back when and it took around 6-8 months to get coraline finally growing on it. Colored up in a couple months, but didn't truely blend in for a while.

I will definitely consider using them on any large tank I have in the future. Might take a while to colonize, but you know they will be pest free. Plus you can get nice LARGE pieces from them if you special order the stuff.

I am getting ready to order 2-3 crates of dry tonga branch for my prop tanks. Not sure on availability, timeframe or price yet, but depending on the interest level I might be able to get an additional crate.

However I may add a stipulation that anyone who gets in on this order must buy at least one of the leftover Ca reactor media cartons from the last GB I did :)

Do a search on WAMAS for "marco" and you will find lots of posts about people's experience with them (all positive from what I can tell).

Yeah, I tried that and the results were pretty bad, however I searched Marco Rock.

Invision Power Board = lousy search function IMO.

Bought 50 lbs not too long ago. Very porous and light (At least the fiji-type was). Stuff had alot of dried sponges etc on it so I ended up soaking it in a separate tub for a few days and ran a mag pump to help loosen the dead materials. Make sure its in a well ventilated area because it stank up most of the house. Wife was not happy the 1st few days :)

Best thing about this rock is that you pay to ship dried rock not rock + water weight. Not to mention that you can select anywhere from 50 lbs of rubble or 1 - 50 lb piece of rock ;)

Edited by zoozilla

Bought 50 lbs not too long ago. Very porous and light (At least the fiji-type was). Stuff had alot of dried sponges etc on it so I ended up soaking it a separate tub for a few days and ran a mag pump to help loosen the dead materials. Make sure its in a well ventilated area because it stank up most of the house. Wife was not happy the 1st few days :)

Tanks for the feedback brother!

Yeah, I tried that and the results were pretty bad, however I searched Marco Rock.

Invision Power Board = lousy search function IMO.

I use the "site" feature of google to search this board. Works pretty good.

Eg. On google.com or the browser search bar type ""marco rocks" site:www.wamas.org"

tells google to just search the www.wamas.org site for your string. If ya'lls web dev has some decent php skillz, he might be able to write something to take the search results and plug them into this boards format. I know google indexes this board, but am not sure if it has privs into the paid members section.

We are looking for web help, any volunteers?

If your looking for graphics, I can help out. If it's coding, my guess is Mr Tang aka Doug could help out, but that would be a question for him.

I'd start a new thread on it though, as he may never see this.

I'd start a new thread on it though, as he may never see this.

Right.... :biggrin:

There are plenty of 'interesting' improvements that could be made. IPB is my least favorite bulletin board, but I figure that WAMAS must get it free with the hosting or something.

What qualifications are you looking for?

I'm not a php dev. but I am schooled in several programming languages: C++, Java, SQL and FORTRAN. I have experience with a few more scripted-languages, but you've probably never heard of SAS or FAME. That being said, I wouldn't consider myself a developer. They are just languages I had to learn while either in school or at work to get my job done as a system admin.

My wife is getting into web dev and may be interested in helping out. She is not familiar with PHP, yet, but could learn it. She has a decent understanding of the basic languages of web development (html, css, xhtml, xml, etc), but lacks knowledge of some of the more advanced languages (php, asp, etc).

"I am schooled in several programming languages: C++, Java, SQL and FORTRAN..."

FORTRAN! What, no COBOL? Holy mackrel, you must be as old as I am :biggrin: Does anyone under 30 even know what FORTRAN is?

Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the thread...

FORTRAN!?! :lol:

Edited by quazi

"I am schooled in several programming languages: C++, Java, SQL and FORTRAN..."

FORTRAN! What, no COBOL? Holy mackrel, you must be as old as I am :biggrin: Does anyone under 30 even know what FORTRAN is?

Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the thread...

FORTRAN!?! :lol:

pffft, COBOL!?. :hammer:

How many nails do we have to put into that coffin?

Yeah, I don't think there is anyone under 30 who even knows what PASCAL is, forget about COBOL.

A slight diversion back to the topic :)

This is the 50 lbs of Marco rocks I got last December (the bubble wrap's 18" wide): DSCN3797marcorocks50lbs.jpg

Which pretty much filled up my 75G: DSCN3807marcorocks75g.jpg

The rock I got from him was very clean, no dead sponges -- I just rinsed it off, and it cycled in 10 days. He has had problems with suppliers in the past, and it seems kind of a crap shoot as to the quality of the rock, and how long you'll have to wait to get it.

-R

PS I won't program in any language that doesn't run on CP/M.

Hate to jump back off topic, but just wanted to throw it out there...

I have 12+ years in Web Dev - PHP, ASP, .NET, HTML, CSS and other goodies. Worked with most forum systems. I'd be happy to help as time allows. I'm sure with the creative skills of some others on here much could be done.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to add my own experience. I placed an order for 50 pounds of Marco Rock back in... gosh... late October? Based on what I read here, I expected delivery to take some time so I didn't worry about it (not too much, anyway -- I confess I wondered how the heck I was going to contest a several months-old Paypal charge). Anyway, my rocks finally arrived via FedEx Home. Included in my 50 pound box (actually 54 pounds) were seven good sized pieces of rock, very porous with lots of surface area, ranging form the size of a football to a soccerball. There was also a lot of rubble, a fair amount of which I believe was chipped off in shipment due to the not-so-tender ministrations of FedEx -- this will make good material for my fuge. On the whole, I was happy with what I got. If you're willing to wait for the shipment, it seems like a good buy for the money. (And my setup is probably one of the slowest ever... coming up on a year and a half, and I still don't have the tank or stand!)

pffft, COBOL!?. :hammer:

How many nails do we have to put into that coffin?

Yeah, I don't think there is anyone under 30 who even knows what PASCAL is, forget about COBOL.

I have coded in PASCAL and FORTRAN... but I am over 30. How about another blast from the past BASIC.