algae turf scrubbers

GaryL

ok i saw this in marine depot forums...and thought i would post the link and get you guys/gals in on the discussion...see what you think?

i remember lee stearns talking about them way back in the day...

turf scrubbers

i like this idea but wouldnt totaly get rid of everything this guy says to, for water volume and failsafe reasons.

If you want some chuckels, ask Julian Sprung what he thought then back in '89-90.

He and one of the first proponets, Dr Walter Addey, went head to head and JS ended up back tracking as fast

as I've ever seen anyone.

The Smithsonian had huge tubs of wave action turf scrubbers.

Funny how we all want to use fuges these days like it's a new idea.

btw,

it does take a rather large srubber system if you plan to go "al natural".

Way back in '94, I had a 90g reef tank with a 250w mh on a homemade dump bucket style algae scrubber.

It grew nasty hair algae across a 20 micron screen floating in about 2" of water. this scrubber overflowed into a 30 gal. sump tank , then returned back to tank.

Algae was scraped from the screen once a week, dried and fed back to the tangs. This system produced an Elegance polyp bailout spawning and natural budding of a GBTA. It harbored massive amounts of copepods.

If anyone would like help designing a dump bucket style of scrubber, contact me.

Tagging along. I'm interested in this! (I love reef-keeping fads and want to be on top of the next one, since I missed the BB, wavebox, and T5 lighting fads) My phosban reactor doesn't seem to do squat.

Tagging along. I'm interested in this! (I love reef-keeping fads and want to be on top of the next one, since I missed the BB, wavebox, and T5 lighting fads) My phosban reactor doesn't seem to do squat.

LMAO - This FAD is SURE TO DO 1 THING - make the guy selling the algae on screens a TON of cash even if only 5% of people do it.

THAT IS A GUARANTEE...