Hilary's 90g

It's a shame when somebody has this much fun with a hobby! I've had freshwater tanks since I was about 10 years old, but started this, my first saltwater, in early March 2008. I teach SCUBA, and since I can't dive the pretty sites every week I thought I'd just go ahead and add one to my livingroom. Luckily the first LFS I visited told me to join WAMAS, so I've had access to good information from the start.

I originally brought home a 55 gallon, decided it was WAY too narrow (luckily before I even added water), asked an LFS about a 70 gallon and was talked into buying a 90 gallon. It's a stock 90 gallon AGA. I have maybe 110 lbs of rock, most of which came from Antonio's tank when he broke it down (Seantadez) and from a 55 g breakdown. It was great to be able to start with rock that had color and zoas all over! I added a sandbed of a little under 2" using Caribsea Seaflor sand as well as a bag of "live" sand. The corals and fish from the 55 breakdown ended up having to live in two 29s for about a month while I got the main tank together.

I added an acrylic 29 gallon sump, a portion of which has sand, a big lump of LR and a huge clump of chaeto. I ended up getting a little bit of chaeto from about three different WAMAS members, all of which was full of fat pods and other critters - nice start. I later added a medium CPR with sand and leaf caulerpa to give me a source of pods for the display (that wouldn't have to get through the return pump). The caulerpa also came from members, and I "seeded" it with pods from an LFS.

So that's kind of the history of the tank so far. Fish have come from many different sources, and most of the coral is either from members' tanks (THANK YOU!) and AquaCo. Thanks for all of the help and advice so far!

PICT0067.jpg

025.jpg

024-1.jpg

053.jpg

RHIZO2.jpg

050-1.jpg

040-1.jpg

045-1.jpg

Cloves.jpg

OOOh/Aaaah.

:cheers:

Ditto!

Hilary, your tank is gorgeous, mine looks naked next to yours. You know, there is one small area of over crowding though..............your clove polyps and orange zoas look like they're being choked out. I think you should thin that area out and sell those 2 to me............ just kidding, it looks wonderful.

So glad you posted pics.

Maureen

Hilary,

I see the poci in only one picture. :) Hope they're all doing well.

Blaze98,

Would really like to see where the other corals (since you get those that Hilary doesn't) go to. :)

Guy -

Some of the pics are from last month. Poci is doing great. I actually knocked off a small piece so it's now in TWO different places in the tank!