Water Volume Question

Connor

Ive been looking at some different fish for my new 92 gallon aquarium and have a question. Ive noticed that alot of different websites say that a fish needs a minimum of for example 100 gallons, now my tank is only 92 gallons but with my sump i have a total water volume of atlease 115 gallons. Now if a website says a fish needs atleast 100 gallons is that just in the display or total watervolume including sump? Im pretty sure ive seen this question before but thanks in advance.

-Connor

usually it has to do with the adult size of the fish and its level of activity and aptness to aggression. alot of these general rules can be broken if you know what u r getting in to. what fish are you looking at?

I think either way, when you get up to that much water volume, 8 gallons isn't going to make much of a difference, on top of that, I've seen fish labeled for 60 gallons on one site and 20 gallons on another, so as Jamal said, the minimum tank size doesn't really even need to be looked at if you know what your getting into.

Total system volumn tells you how heavily you can stock in terms of water quality control. Tank size reccomended for fish has to do with how much space that particular fish needs.

What I don't understand is how it works with putting 3 fish that are supposed to have a 100g (for ex) in the same 100g tank. Maybe it doesn't matter because it's "fluid" and the fish just need to not be so many that they get in each others' way?

There are actually 2 fish that I was wondering about and those are a Regal Angel or a Emperor Angel witch most websites say need atleast 100 gallons. I'm planning on aquascaping so that there are a lot of caves but also a lot of open swimming room in the center of the tank. Which ever one I pick is probably going to be the main fish center piece of the tank the rest of the fish I get will probably be centered around this fish.

-Connor

regal should be ok but both of those fish get a foot long or more full grown

I decided that if I was going to get the Emperor Angel then I will get it as a juvenile only about 2-3 in. so that it would be able to grow up in my tank.

Not only is the water volume to be a consideration, but the dimensions of the tank should be taken into account too. A 120g, four foot tank doesn't house some tangs adaquately, but a five or six foot 125g tank is much better.

I decided that if I was going to get the Emperor Angel then I will get it as a juvenile only about 2-3 in. so that it would be able to grow up in my tank.

I'm assuming that you aren't going to have corals in this tank? I've been experimenting with different small coral frags in our predator tank. It houses 4 triggers, a puffer, snowflake eel, lyretail cherry grouper, regal angel and larger queen angel. Mushrooms seem to be safe. Zoas disappeared in about 10 minutes. Queen picked them apart. I also have a small brain and a favia in there. Both have been left alone.

So far, Zoas are out...

Our predator tank is 96x24x36, 360g so they have a lot of room.

My tank is going to be all sps and maybe a few lps. Also from what I have read so far Emperor's tend to stay away from the sps corals and mostly just nip at zoas and soft corals.

-Connor

I haven't tried SPS in the predator tank and I won't be trying it because I don't have the lights for them. And what you heard seems to be validated with my limited testing.

An adult Emporer needs a massive tank to thrive - 300 gal+. in the wild, a single angelfish will patrol about an acre of area. the large space can also be a contribution to the fish attaining full adult coloration. Be careful when buying juvenile angels. When they're that small they need much more nutrition than you can provide and frequently drop dead suddenly and without warning. you need a very well-established tank with lots of sponges and microfauna for him to pick at in addition to the very high quality foods you provide. I had this happen with an emporer i had - eating well, swimming, active, happy, and then one day dead without warning. it's usually due to a lack of nutrition. you may want to PM copps - he's the angelfish expert.