Killing aiptasia... Nitrates??

lanman

Opinions ... would killing a few hundred aiptasia put extra organics in the tank - possibly leading to a nitrate spike?

bob

IMO, anything that you kill and leave in the tank will add organics to the water. Those organics that are in excess of what the cleanup crew and the skimmer can handle will break down through the nitrogen cycle and end up as nitrates. That sounds like a very likely cause. Try siphoning them out a couple hours after zapping them to remove as much as possible.

Don't take em out all at once, unless you're talking about releasing a swarm of peppermint shrimps, just inject them in waves.

Unfortunately - 100 a day or so is just to keep even... 200-300 to gain a little ground.

Wonder why all of my tanks have major aiptasia problems??

bob

Unfortunately - 100 a day or so is just to keep even... 200-300 to gain a little ground.

Wonder why all of my tanks have major aiptasia problems??

bob

It's a conspiracy.

(edited)

I am wondering if instead of killing the aiptasia, your are just causing them to fragment. & multipy instead. It would seem to me that you would have made much better headway than you have by now. When I last talked to my favorite LFS, she said that they are getting something new in because of this problem. I don't know what it is yet, but I am going to give it a try when she gets it. :idea:

Maybe it will kill my Superman Aiptasia. :biggrin:

Edited by Highland Reefer

would getting a copperband bf have the same nitrate effects as killing them with kalk or whatever other pastes you use?

is a CBF even an option for you?

(edited)

would getting a copperband bf have the same nitrate effects as killing them with kalk or whatever other pastes you use?

is a CBF even an option for you?

I've considered it... now that I'm ich-free for about 4 months. Are they really that good at aiptasia? I can't seem to keep peppermint shrimp alive in there - and I've never seen them actually eat one, anyhow.

I am killing them... whether or not they send off fragments - the kalk does kill them. I can clear an area of all but a few - but there's a lot of space in that 240. I have managed to get the frag tank and 58-gallon tanks pretty much free of aiptasia - but have to keep at it every other day or so, or they come back.

bob

Edited by lanman

except for the "superman" aiptasia, the one i had cleared all of them plus all my feather dusters.

It died when i was on vacation, however i believe it starved to death since there was no more aiptasia nor feather dusters left for it to eat.

imo they are beautiful fish and in your 240 i think it would do fine, plus you wouldnt have to keep up the kalk another less thing to worry about. worth a try

good luck