Withdrawl pains

FishWife

Guest Zimzdoodle

I'm very excited to hear you have your new tank! I cannot wait to see some pictures once everything has been established.

If I may ask, where did you purchase your new tank?

I'm very excited to hear you have your new tank! I cannot wait to see some pictures once everything has been established.

If I may ask, where did you purchase your new tank?

We went to Congressional, since they had several models immediately available in stock, and our goal was to put our blenny directly into her new environment on Saturday. If I had had more time, I might have looked for one used, but the sale of our big tank more than covers the splurge of buying retail (and on sale) and having researched Internet sites and other LFSs (two of them) we found that the going price was what we paid at Congressional. Seems everyone has them "on sale" for c. $800 w/stand.

seems to me many times people end up having to mod their nano cubes. http://www.nanotuners.com/ has done some people right at www.nano-reef.com These guys will mod a cube to have MH. Nice neat package. worth the look. They also sell kits to do the modding yourself.

Yeah... but these are all for 28g... can't see dimensions... they do look good, tho!

Your new Red Sea Max is so freaking sweet looking. I am definitely impressed. Alot better quality that what I was expecting. I even might consider something like that when I move out. Very easily transportable, if I end up renting and moving around that is.

Your new Red Sea Max is so freaking sweet looking. I am definitely impressed. Alot better quality that what I was expecting. I even might consider something like that when I move out. Very easily transportable, if I end up renting and moving around that is.

James,

Jon and I saw Marcia's new tank (and her incredible bow front) yesterday. It is a really nice set up. I love that it is self-contained and has really clean lines. The most amazing and unexpected thing to me was how much rock, coral, critter, etc it housed comfortably. I think she made a great choice!

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

You all are the best!

We have had the Red Sea Max (34g, not 28 :blush: ) up now for a little over two weeks. Here are stats, in case anyone else wants to repeat our experiences.

1. We took rock and sand and water out of our existing system and cycled for four days. I did an ammonia test every day at the same time and never saw any measurable ammonia from disturbing/repositioning the sand (we put in about 4-5" all told in the bottom of the tank).

2. Honey was in a rock; we picked up the rock and put it into the new tank the night before we broke everything else down, along with some of our favorite unpromised sponge-encrusted rocks, which also had zoos on it that I had failed to list for sale (thankfully). :rollface:

3. We put as much good LR in as we could comfortably fit: I think there must be about 40 lbs. in there.

4. Next day, we added softies and fragged a few more favorite LPS corals to put into this "ark."

Readings:

No measurable nitrates or ammonia yet. Our trusty pH monitor has us hovering right around 8. (Scott giggles as he doses by the teaspoon!)

Maintenance:

1. We do need to top off frequently (daily).

2. Temperature has been an issue: it ranges two to four degrees each 24 hours. We have finally purchased a mini-chiller that has dual controls for both heater and chilling so that we can have peace of mind. Should come today. Hopefully, Scott's going to plumb it w/our 40w UV sterilizer inline (should be plenty!). I am ich-averse, even in a small system. :rollface:

3. I am a devotee of copepods, so we're going to breed them and phytoplankton in a 10g inside the stand, and since we can't think of a good way to make it automatic, we'll use the old fashioned "scoop with a net and backwash them into the tank" method. Hopefully, we'll get a good crop going before I find my desired court jester goby. :cheers:

This little tank is so MANAGEABLE after our 175. Do I miss the big tank? Yep. Do I like the nano? YES! It's really got a LOT of bang for the buck.

I hope to post pictures soon, but in staging our home for the move, my camera's going missing... :wig:

Edited by FishWife