My Bankrupt Machine :)

st9z

The cycle is caused by die-off on the live rock. Yes, you need heaters and powerheads for your liverock - the bacteria on the rock is hearty, but requires you to maintain temperature and flow. If you keep the rock from being out of the water for very long then you should not have a cycle since you'll prevent any die-off on the rock.

Cool thanks Brian!

One more question: I notice some ppl have a inlet with a filter sock for the water that is coming in from the overflow. Do you think that is necessary? If so, where can I buy one locally?

(edited)

One more question: I notice some ppl have a inlet with a filter sock for the water that is coming in from the overflow. Do you think that is necessary? If so, where can I buy one locally?

it's another form of mechanical filtration. Is it required? No. Does it help? Yes. But it is one more thing to keep up with - keeping them clean, buying new ones, etc, etc...

I've seen them at Marine Scene and I'm sure most other LFS will have them.

Edited by tonkadawg

Cool thanks Brian!

Niki,

Buy them online. At the very least, buy the socks online. I've seen them in LFS for $5-$12 each. Online in bulk you can get them down to about $2 ea. I've seen the brackets in BRK and I think NAGA built the ones that I have right now.

Sighs I started setting up the new tank since Monday and so far it has been problems after problems. Grrr I blame bad planning.

Day 1

Sump won't fit inside the stand, so I took the easy way and saw the heck out of the center brace, only to find out it is needed. Grrr :blast:

Day 2

Replace center brace with a new one. Add more water only to find out I still need even more water :hammer:

Day 3

Filled the water in my overflow to test out the piping and it started leaking a little! Had to run to HD to buy a washer, more hosing, and hose clamp.

Finally today is Day 4

Going to get water so I could fill up the sump and test the skimmer and return pump. Hopefully today is the day the tank will be running smoothly :fish:

Boy well here is an update

More problems occurred for our wonderfully losing patience protagonist .

The return pipe did not fit the Mag 7 but fit the nozzle that runs back into the tank (i hope that made some sense) I had to make another run to HD to find a converter. Only to find out they dont carry the size i needed :hammer: So when in doubt use the guy said to use a hose clamp, that would tighten around the mag 7, I hope this doesnt screw me over in the future :eek:

Finally hooked everything up and it started running yippee only to find out the skimmer didnt work :comp: I was playing around with the sedra pump and plumbing for an hour and was about to give up, until my dad had a not so brillant idea of taking it out while running the pump (disaster in the making). Only by lifting it out of the water he somehow activated the pump to flow inside the chamber and Yreka it worked! :bounce:

:cheers:

Now with every story there always some sadness. Here are a list of stuff that died during the transfer

- hammer coral

- blue tort

- midas blenny (Goodbye Bloo :cry: )

- clam :cry:

- MIA rhodactis superman mushroom

- green neon toadstool

(edited)

St9z the tank looks nice so far.I really like the black paint.It looks brand new.

Also Did you say you had 2 mermaids? :cheers:

(Painting with my girlfriends)

Edited by dmward99

• 2 months later...

Updates for Aug08

Some new coral additions

Blue Xenia

bluexenia.jpg

Neon Toadstool

neontoadstool.jpg

Palm Trees

palmtree.jpg

One death in the family :cry: RIP Freddie

peanutbuttercup.jpg

Full Tank Shot

aug08.jpg

I really like the two island look. That toadstool lookslike its gotten pretty big. That's the piece you got from me right?

Unfortunately the one you gave me blew away. BTW do u know why sometimes the polyps retract for days and days at a time?

Unfortunately the one you gave me blew away. BTW do u know why sometimes the polyps retract for days and days at a time?

I wished I knew the answer to that question. I'm convinved that my hermit crabs take nibbles out of them and make them retract for a little while. Can't say for sure though. :why:

weird... i wonder if anybody else experience irregular polyp closing for the neon toadstool

Anyone wants to chime in?

Happens to my neon toadstool periodically. It retracts its polyps and forms a waxy film which it sheds/sloughs off. Can stay in this state for a few days. Some believe that it's a way for the Sarcs to prevent nuisance algae from growing on it. A very natural behavior. I expedite this process by providing adequate flow.

the tank is looking awesome Niki..those cloves open up real nice..

Thanks! It is a very neat coral and I already have little polyps sprouting all over.

• 1 month later...

Updates for the month of Aug and Oct...a couple of new additions and lots of growth since July. Also bought a new camera which makes taking tank picture soo much more prettier and realistic looking. I am still working out the kinks though :)

New Additions

Steveoutlaw's clam

_DSC0363.jpg

2 Lyretail Anthias gift for my mom's bday

Green Bali slimer

_DSC0283.jpg

Unkown SPS frags

_DSC0280.jpg

AOG

_DSC0255.jpg

Full tank shot

DSC_0371.jpg

I just now got caught up in your thread. WOW. Looks like you had quite an experience. Unless you're one of those folks like Dan who are extremely mechanically inclined, you're bound to encounter set back along the way in getting your tank up and running. Even with my 30 gal tank set up, I had lots of problem along the way too. Luckily, YBeNormal was nearby so he was able to help me out especially in the plumbing area. Your tank is looking very awesome now. I am very impress with it.

Thank you everybody. The tank is coming along very nicely. I was surprising seeing the first tank shot from Aug and then looking at it now, the tank is purpling up and growing at a good rate.

I just now got caught up in your thread. WOW. Looks like you had quite an experience. Unless you're one of those folks like Dan who are extremely mechanically inclined, you're bound to encounter set back along the way in getting your tank up and running. Even with my 30 gal tank set up, I had lots of problem along the way too. Luckily, YBeNormal was nearby so he was able to help me out especially in the plumbing area. Your tank is looking very awesome now. I am very impress with it.

I know what you mean. I was fearing mechancial break downs even with the 55 gallon. Luckily most of the set backs that i encounter was during the 1st week with the tank. Had pipe leaking, things not fitting in properly, a couple corals and fish die from the move. So far...knock on wood...everything else has been running smoothly.

Your latest FTS looks great! :)

BTW, are you still using 4 T5s? Do you not have a fuge on your tank?

Hey Jason!

Thanks you very much! The lightning are 4 T5's and I have a 2.5 gallon hang on back CPR refugium. I wish I could make money as fast as the algae are growing.