Sun Coral and Metal Halides

tranceFusion

I just got a nice frag of sun coral. They were out and eating the next day but I had them jammed under an overhang in the back. I am a bit torn - I would love to display them prominently with plenty of growing room, not to mention somewhere easy to feed.. However I am worried that they will be damaged or stressed getting blasted by Metal Halide lights.. is this a concern at all?

Thanks!

You don't have to jam it in total darkness, just under an over hand. Lets see a picture of you're aquascape and we might be able to help you pick a spot. Or you might rearrange your aquascaping until there is a nice over hang front and center.

ok I'll snap a pic when I get home and post it up here.. its only a 12g so I feel like I am ripping the whole thing apart every time I get a new frag.. :blush: it is kind of frustrating trying to provide proper conditions, room for everything to grow, keep aggressive stuff away from each other, etc.. and it just ends up looking like a contrived rubble heap..

You don't have to jam it in total darkness, just under an over hand.

I have a three head Duncan and a nice flower pot that are both really giving me trouble. I am moving them all over the tank, but to no avail. They were better when they first moved in. My Nitrates are 10 PPM not sure how much that is contributing - everyone else seems fine.

I love sun coral, but wasn't about to feed that thing every day they can be in some light and they give you something nice to look at when your corals are sleeping!

ok I tried to stick the sun coral in between a couple rocks but i still don't think the shade is that great, and it doesn't have any where to spread out to.. I was thinking maybe I just just frag it into smaller pieces and then glue the polyps up under some ledges?

also i was wondering about the maze brain coral frag.. can I just leave it on the sand and it will grow out on its own skeleton right?

any other suggestions or tips about my tank are more than appreciated :)

img0230hp8.jpg

img0227mj2.jpg

I have a nice, large frag of an orange montipora capricornis that I will sell you REAL cheap - it is about 8" wide, and 5" long, attached to a small rock - which I'm sure you could attach to a point JUST above those sun corals. :) It is my Gold-headed sleeper gobies favorite target with the sand... I have to blow sand off it every night.

Anyhow - suggest getting a monti cap or something similar to shade it.

bob

(edited)

the monti is a great idea!

i got tired of messing with it and i had a couple of small dark areas i really wanted to fill in.. so i took the dremel to it. :) i hope it survives.. it is 3 frags now.. i had really good intentions of being careful but it ended up cracking and being a massacre.

anybody have a suggestion for the maze brain frag in the bottom right? can i just leave it in the sand? i can't find anywhere to mount that won't look ridiculous..

Edited by tranceFusion

the monti is a great idea!

i got tired of messing with it and i had a couple of small dark areas i really wanted to fill in.. so i took the dremel to it. :) i hope it survives.. it is 3 frags now.. i had really good intentions of being careful but it ended up cracking and being a massacre.

anybody have a suggestion for the maze brain frag in the bottom right? can i just leave it in the sand? i can't find anywhere to mount that won't look ridiculous..

It is generally considered inadvisable to 'frag' a sun-coral. But I hope it works - because I have one that has completely covered its rock - and wouldn't mind fragging it.

bob

Tubatraea may not need sunlight, but I've seen huge patches of them that spent their whole life within inches of the waterline and in direct tropical sun.

Forget about lighting, you should put it where it will be easiest to direct feed.

I basically looked and saw where it seemed like there was a clear straight line between the polyps.. I intended to cut directly up this line but ended up with 3 frags instead of two... one is just two polyps.

So far, the two larger colonies are opening up. They are completely out but they did partially open up and accept some food.. here is a pic:

img02341ll1.jpg

well these guys seem to be coming out and feeding and appear to be healthy thus far..

i am a bit concerned about the nutrients in my tank though. i only have a 12g and "feeding each polyp" seems to turn into me dumping a full cube all over the polyps.. i don't imagine this practice can be too healthy for the tank, with all the nutrients being added. i know most people use turkey basters, but i haven't been able to do anything elegant with mine (like feed a single polyp)..

it seems like my bristleworm population is growing out of control though..

They look good, I'd love a sun coral but don't know where to get them. With all the extra food in your tank the brisleworms will be able to thrive, you need to limit the amount of food that gets uneaten by your corals. How often do sun corals need to be fed? Maybe try to make some sort of feeding cone you place over the sun coral and squirt the food in so the food gets eaten by the coral and not blown all over your tank. Maybe cut the top off a soda bottle and drill a hole in the cap just big enough for the end of the turkey baster, just something I thought of as I was reading the post so I don't know how well it will work but it sounded like a good idea. Good luck, let me know if you want to get rid of one of your frags.

Wreck

well these guys seem to be coming out and feeding and appear to be healthy thus far..

i am a bit concerned about the nutrients in my tank though. i only have a 12g and "feeding each polyp" seems to turn into me dumping a full cube all over the polyps.. i don't imagine this practice can be too healthy for the tank, with all the nutrients being added. i know most people use turkey basters, but i haven't been able to do anything elegant with mine (like feed a single polyp)..

it seems like my bristleworm population is growing out of control though..

The Aquarium Company has a sun coral right now. I got two from Sean, and to be honest rarely target feed yet they're doing great.