Kalk / pickling lime

jakaufman

Can you still find the Mrs Wage's pickling lime at grocery stores? I remember reading that it was hard to find for awhile.

Is there a replacement for buying some cheaper option than the LFS kalkwasser mix?

Thanks,

Joe

I don't know if it's still out there or hard to find.

But I know I have 3 or 4 containers of it that I probably will never use.

I don't even remember what I paid for them. I'll sell them to you for $5 each if you want them and can come to Gaithersburg to get them.

Many to most supermarkets have stopped selling the stuff. I guess someone (could have been a kid) knocked one off a shelf and got a Chemical burn or got it in his eyes or something like that.

(edited)

They ususally have Ball's Pickling Lime at the grocery stores, which works fine also.

uh i thought they stopped making ball's pickeling lime ...can only find pickling salt nowadays

some giants carry mrs wages its almost as good according to some reefers and walmart has it all day long///its with the canning stuff i think a few people have used it here with no problems

sometimes people here do a group order for hydrated lime..i think...its like a 40lb bag that lasts forever...i still got some from the first order

Edited by GaryL

I got them for about $2 per canister of it in walmart in florida. It was a seasonal kind of thing. Might want to ask so they consider getting it when the time rolls around.

Ms. Wages is $3.79 at Giant - I picked up some yesterday, although other brands are preferred by some here.