PC light - any difference?

MisterTang

Hello, all!

I'm currently running just one florescent 15 watt 10K bulb over my 10 gallon. It actually does pretty good, but like any decent marine hobbyist, I want more :)

A friend recently gave me an old lighting assembly he had, and inside of it, it had a u-shaped bulb with four pins on the end. I plugged it in yesterday, and found that half the bulb lit up blue, and half lit up white. I'm guessing this is a power-compact 50-50? Anyway, I think the bulb says 24 watts or something, but it's really dim. I assumed this was because it was old.

Anyway, my question is whether or not it would be worth my money to buy a new bulb. I would like to keep some zoas in this tank, and was hoping that this light might make that possible. If not, I'll just save my money for a nice lighting assembly for my new tank :)

Thanks!

Yes buy a new bulb. But the thing about PC's you have to change them every six months. But then you have a nano tank. It will get you used to working on a tank.

(edited)

The combination between initial cost and frequency of replacement is high for PCs compared to T-5s, so I suggest using what you have while saving money for T-5s. Maybe someone will at some point have a small t-5 fixture that you can buy used.

I just noticed that you aren't a WAMAS member... when I mentioned buying the lights used I was thinking about the sell/buy board here that is only open to WAMAS members.

Edited by treesprite

If you're using for just fuge lighting replace it, if your using it for tank lighting consider switching to t5's

I'm in a bit of a quandary... I have the cash to upgrade to a much nicer system, but I just can't stomach the idea of paying for some huge lighting array (and then the subsequent electric bill). I don't know what it is, but the lighting thing just really bothers me :why:

So because I'm unwilling to go MH or fifty-gazillion T5s, that pretty much means no corals in my big tank, so I was hoping I could make my current 10g a frag tank... only I don't want to shell out a ton of money on it, because I really want to avoid cheaping out on my nicer system. Can anyone recommend a decent lighting fixture that would support zoas and perhaps some green star polyps that won't break the bank?

Thanks,

MrT

What size of a tank are you planning to get? Believe me, decent lighting is worth it. If you get the right type of fixture or retros, you can tailor your light cycle which will help control power consumption.

The least expensive choice it T-5s. MHs are expensive, get hot meaning often that a chiller is mandatory, and have to be replaced more frequently. PC bulbs are more expensive than T-5s and only last about 6 months, and choice of livestock is limited, though they do not get as hot as MHs. T-5s have less expensive bulbs are good up to about 18 months for average useage, allow for SPS and anemones, and don't get as hot as MHs so usually fans are all that is needed instead of a chiller.

What size of a tank are you planning to get? Believe me, decent lighting is worth it. If you get the right type of fixture or retros, you can tailor your light cycle which will help control power consumption.

The least expensive choice it T-5s. MHs are expensive, get hot meaning often that a chiller is mandatory, and have to be replaced more frequently. PC bulbs are more expensive than T-5s and only last about 6 months, and choice of livestock is limited, though they do not get as hot as MHs. T-5s have less expensive bulbs are good up to about 18 months for average useage, allow for SPS and anemones, and don't get as hot as MHs so usually fans are all that is needed instead of a chiller.

I'm not sure... I've been looking on CraigsList and there are a couple good deals on breakdowns that include RO/DI and sand etc. I wouldn't really want anything less than a 70 because, well, I'd like to keep some yellow tangs (as the name implies :biggrin:). I guess it also depends on what you guys have for sale in your members-only area. I joined yesterday (AHEM AHEM) but I guess my payment hasn't been processed yet or something.

I'm not willing to do the whole chiller thing, so I think that pretty much leaves me with a T5 setup... but once again, I don't especially like the idea of having hundreds of watts of power just to reach the bottom of my big tank, hence I was considering just using my small one for corals etc. It would be a lot easier to light - assuming, of course, that I could find a decently-priced T5 fixture that would go on a 10g!

I went to LFS yesterday with my 50/50 bulb, and as it turns out, it's a really weird one?? It's actually a square-pin 28 watt Coralife bulb, which they had never seen before, so I guess my acquired PC fixture isn't going to work for my little tank.

(edited)
hundreds of watts of power just to reach the bottom of my big tank

Watts are not a way to accurately measure the quality of the light... T-5s have more intense light than PCs and considerably more than NOs.

It would be a lot easier to light - assuming, of course, that I could find a decently-priced T5 fixture that would go on a 10g!

You won't - I have tried to find a 20" fixture for my nano and they do not exist so I am stuck with PCs and no SPS ("easy" ones) in that tank... either that or have the fixture hang over the ends of the tank looking stupid.

Edited by treesprite

Yes buy a new bulb. But the thing about PC's you have to change them every six months. But then you have a nano tank. It will get you used to working on a tank.

Where did you get your info about having to change PC bulbs every 6 months?

(edited)

You won't - I have tried to find a 20" fixture for my nano and they do not exist so I am stuck with PCs and no SPS ("easy" ones) in that tank... either that or have the fixture hang over the ends of the tank looking stupid.

Arrrg... I'm doomed to be FOWLR forever :(

jason, I've read the suggestions of X number of watts per gallon. If I were to get a 72g bowfront, that pretty much means I'd need to get around 700 watts of lighting going by some rules of thumb, right? That's just an insane amount of electricity to use for nine hours a day, seven days a week... at least for me.

***EDIT***

What about this one?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod...fm?pcatid=16770

Edited by MisterTang

(edited)

Where did you get your info about having to change PC bulbs every 6 months?

stuff I've read from multiple sources

Those fixtures are fine - the only difference between them and things like Nova Extreme is that these have no fans or moon lights. Moonlights are in my opinion a way to make money, and if you need fans you can use fans that aren't built into the fixture.

There are cheaper versions of the one of F&S as I spent a whole lot of time searching for something inexpensive for myself. I'll have to find them again.

Another thing you can do is supplement what you have.

Edited by treesprite

Look here:

Big Als Online

They have reasonalbe shipping rates and decent prices, and customer service.

stuff I've read from multiple sources

Those fixtures are fine - the only difference between them and things like Nova Extreme is that these have no fans or moon lights. Moonlights are in my opinion a way to make money, and if you need fans you can use fans that aren't built into the fixture.

There are cheaper versions of the one of F&S as I spent a whole lot of time searching for something inexpensive for myself. I'll have to find them again.

Another thing you can do is supplement what you have.

Supplement with what? I had been thinking about a clamp-on light with a screw-in CF bulb, but I read that does nothing.

I had originally been looking at Big Al's, but those lights are 14 watts each, bringing my total to 28 watts. The ones at F-S are 24 watts per lamp, which would bring my total to 48 watts, which for ten gallons, seems like a decent amount to at least have a zoa frag or two or maybe some green or yellow star polyps.

Try this

http://www.nextag.com/Coralife-24-Double-L...802/prices-html

If not, Coralife 24" Linear Aqualight T5

Hmm, I don't think I have room above my setup for two sets of these... which is why I was looking at the other one that used the 24 watt bulbs. It ends up being cheaper buying one 2X24 watt than 2 2X14. Now admittedly I don't get quite the same wattage out of the 24 watt fixture, but I don't know if the 8 fewer watts would drastically affect my setup.

I went to Fins n' Feathers in Ashburn yesterday for the first time, and that guy told me that there's no rule of thumb at all re: watts/gallon that is reliable - which pretty much sucks, because I have no clue how you're supposed to tell what's adequate and what isn't.