drilling a stocked tank

tonkadawg

I wouldn't recomend it. Even if you are pretty skilled at drilling a tank the risks are pretty large. If your tank should crack for whatever reason, not only will you have a bunch of dead items to deal with you will also have a huge smelly mess.

How large is your tank? Have you considered getting another tank the same size but reef ready, and just making the switch? Dave is right, you may wind up losing most of the things in your tank if you make a mistake. Check around and see if anyone is selling a RR tank in the dimensions you need.

Good luck.

the tank is a 16 mini bow - so no chance of going reef ready. My other option was to use an overflow box, but I don't think I want to give up the real estate in the tank and also run the risk of flooding if/when the siphon breaks.

I do have another tank that I could transfer everything into, but I'm a bit reluctant. I'm afraid that I'll do more damage and stress :(

I'm really torn as to what the best course of action is.

the glass on that tank is pretty thin and your chances on breaking it IMO are very high. If you do try it drain it all the way down and drill it using a diamond bit for a dremel. Using a hole saw will almost guarantee you break it.

It is only a 16 gallon tank. I don't think it would be that much work to just empty it into buckets or rubbermaid containers so you can drill it properly. Time it with a water change and you really only need to save half the water.

It is only a 16 gallon tank. I don't think it would be that much work to just empty it into buckets or rubbermaid containers so you can drill it properly. Time it with a water change and you really only need to save half the water.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. 16 gallons is next to nothing to deal with, especially when combined with a water change...

Get a rubbermaid tub - or just use your spare tank, and go for it...

Cheers

Mike