JM's 60 some gall tank build

Hey JM, in my old house, the floor drain was made from steel or iron pipe, not sure which, just know that it was metal. You might want to be careful if it is as you're adding saltwater to that (and then to whatever pump you have ejecting the water). I would always run clean water through there after a water change to avoid future problems.

Good point Dave,

It's a metallic drain. No pump, it connects to the sewer. Will do flush it with clear water after each water change. Thanks for the tip.

I love all your planning ahead for the water change, your build looks promising.

Thanks Jason,

So far the greatest physical effort has been lifting a few cups of salt to make a new SW batch and opening and closing a couple of valves for the water changes. No lifting of buckets whatsoever :cheers: (so far).

• 3 weeks later...

Wish you had designed my system! :lol2: Of course, carrying buckets of SW from the basement up to the living room must be good for me, right? ;)

Wish you had designed my system! :lol2: Of course, carrying buckets of SW from the basement up to the living room must be good for me, right? ;)

hehe, but you are a strong woman and I am a lazy weak man :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

So here's a little update. Since las Spring, I have set up the frag tank, lights, and a few other things here and there.

In a nutshell:

The frag tank is a 30 breeder with an overflow drilled on the top left corner of the back panel. Lights are on a frame suspended with pulleys so I can move them up and down for easier access to the tank. The lights are four T5, 2 actinics and 2 10,000k running on 2 ballasts, and a 175 Hamilton 15000k running on magnetic ballast. Flow is provided by one MJ1200 with the SureFlow mod, one Koralia 1, one

Whats that really thick acro?

Whats that really thick acro?

I am not sure Chris. I got it from Aquaco a while ago. I'll see if Sean can have some input. It have very bright neon green polyps. The main body was a light grey purplish originally, and browned out. However the tips are turning a nice blueish purple recently.

Vente de la Louisiane

Upon completion of the "Louisiana Purchase" agreement, Napoleon Bonaparte stated, "This accession of territory affirms forever the power of the United States, and I have given England a maritime rival who sooner or later will humble her pride."

How's that for a FRAG from the French :clap:

Vente de la Louisiane

Upon completion of the "Louisiana Purchase" agreement, Napoleon Bonaparte stated, "This accession of territory affirms forever the power of the United States, and I have given England a maritime rival who sooner or later will humble her pride."

How's that for a FRAG from the French :clap:

And a nice one :cheers: And as Napoleon said, as far as it tickles the Brits... :clap:

• 4 months later...
(edited)

Nothing much new to comment on. Just a few changes and improvements. Lights are now 2 VHOs actinic 03 driven by an IceCap 660 and a 250W radium with an IceCap electronic ballast and a lumenarc III mini. Finished installing the electrical circuits, added an Neptune AC junior. Also got the bucketless water change up and running several months ago. I love that last part, just open and close a couple of valves, flip a switch, drop salt into the batch all in all about 5 minutes job. A few days later, same deal, open and close a couple of valves, and that's it. Repeat in a couple of weeks, that's it folks.

Just a few pics.

Bucketless waterchange system. Top can has the RODI, lower can mixes the batch.

DSC06458.jpg

DSC06485.jpg

Frag tank shot

DSC06486.jpg

DSC06462.jpg

DSC06465.jpg

DSC06499.jpg

DSC06512.jpg

DSC06508.jpg

This one is for Howard :)

DSC06494.jpg

And this one for Hilary :biggrin: