back from Roatan

mogurnda

Got back from a trip to Roatan island a few days ago. Went with two buddies, and we decided to go to the more isolated east end of the island. It was rough, diving in the morning, then eating, drinking beer, and lying around waiting for the sunset.

Only bad part was that I couldn't find the cable for my strobe, so I struggled with the internal strobe on my camera.

Because of jet lag, and also because I slept for about 12 hours a day, I woke up at sunrise.

th_0073sunriseSm.jpg

The reefs were in OK shape, but clearly suffering. The sponges were as beautiful as I remembered, though.

th_0194purplevasespongeSm.jpg

th_0219yellowspongeSm.jpg

Oops, back to work. More in a bit.

Dave,

Welcome back. Was there in Nov. East side by Barefoot Cay (Mary's Place, etc.). Off the trampled path, it was nice. On...not so.

Dave,

Welcome back. Was there in Nov. East side by Barefoot Cay (Mary's Place, etc.). Off the trampled path, it was nice. On...not so.

Yeah, we didn't even try to go to west end. One of the guys told me that the little heap of huts we stayed in before is now a big, shiny resort.

More sponges. Gotta love the sponges.

th_0199yellowspongeSm.jpg

th_0209vasebrownspongeSm.jpg

Sponge with decorator crab

th_0168crabspongeSm.jpg

The thread continues, assuming that you are all out there lurking, fascinated by the photos and descriptions.

One more sponge, with a surprise inside.

th_0110lobstersm.jpg

Some corals. There were tons of gorgonians, like this giant slit pore sea rod.

th_0171searodsm.jpg

This one had nice big calyces.

th_0141calyces.jpg

Some nice stonies, like this pillar coral, Dendrogyra.

th_0221pillarsm.jpg

A cute little rough star coral, Isophyllastrea.

th_0181roughstarcoraSml.jpg

Some black coral in deeper water. Yes, the photo is right side up.

th_0200blackcoralSm.jpg

More in a bit.

Thanks for making the rest of us drool! Thanks for sharing!

The last photo is sick, I like the little royal gramma down in the corner

The grammas were common as rats along the walls and overhangs. One of the best dives was a site they called Pinnacles, where there were deep channels running from the inner to outer reef. Tons of grammas along the walls, not visible here.

th_0162pinnaclessm.jpg

Along the top edges were a lot of lettuce corals, Agaricia.

th_0184lettucecoralSm.jpg

Lots of hydroids too. This one is overexposed, but I thought it was kind of arty.

th_0202hydroidSm.jpg

wow that spiny lobster is awesome!!

the sponges are absolutly beautiful!

That lobster pretty much stays right there in that sponge.

Maybe some day we'll be able to maintain some of those sponges for the long term. That azure vase sponge is just gorgeous, and would be fantastic in a tank.

I can't wait to be able to do this. Thanks for the pics.

You'll love it. Even a bad dive is great.

The fish were a little harder. They move. Got a few, though.

A graysby.

th_0189graysbycrop.jpg

Juvenile spotted drum. I always love these.

th_0205drumcrop.jpg

Cowfish.

th_0301cowsm.jpg

More random shots.

Tunicates on a dead gorgonian.

th_0098tunicates_crop.jpg

Cleaner shrimp on a curlecue anemone.

th_0143cleanerbartolomeasm.jpg

(edited)

Awesome Dave! That shot of the channel is amazing - great reef structure. I'm scheduled to head to Roatan in October.

I did read something about significant deforestation happening on the island, due to development. Did you see/experience anything like that? In you post, you say that, "The sponges were as beautiful as I remembered, though." You have been there before? How long ago? You might have a better baseline for observations like that.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

It's a race between development and preserving the reef, and the outcome is not horribly optimistic. The combination of 1) subsistence farming and fishing, 2) lightspeed development for tourism and 3) a weak and corrupt central government is pretty deadly. The owner of the dive outfit we went with is trying hard to support enforcement of a reef protected area in the east, but it can be a little hard when law enforcement has few cars and no boats. Also, if they are going to do anything to protect the island, the needs of the people who live there will have to be considered.

One of the owners of the place we stayed took us up the highest "mountain" in Roatan, about 800 ft tall. He showed us where the boundary of the protected area was creeping up, and we saw lots of recently cleared land. There is a certain attitude of "use it or lose it."

View from the top.

th_0305fingepayabaySm.jpg

Joanna and I were there 8 years ago, but we were at the much more popular West End, so it's hard to compare. At the time, we were blown away by the sponges, and it was similar on this trip. It was good to see a smattering of staghorn and elkhorn, but it makes me wonder what it was like 20 years ago.

There are also some tunnels from the inner to outer reef. My favorite part of these was how the light sparkled down from holes in the ceiling.

th_0232godlightSm.jpg

th_0238cavediverssm.jpg

The thread continues, assuming that you are all out there lurking, fascinated by the photos and descriptions.

One more sponge, with a surprise inside.

th_0110lobstersm.jpg

Yum!!

bob

Thanks for the nice comments, folks. I should show you some of the photos one of the other guys took. Much, much better than my old camera in the clunky housing.

I'll finish with one of several gorgeous sunsets. Most nights it was just the three of us in hammocks, with beer and the sunset.

th_0277sunsethammocksSm.jpg