The scent of... Ammonia?

lanman

Since I started running my CA reactor - I have the odor of ammonia under my tank. Not terribly strong - but pretty definite. Is that normal? Any idea what causes it? I've searched, but can't seem to find anything written about it on the internet.

bob

dont you have cats?

dont you have cats?

Females... one marks a lot - but it doesn't have an ammonia smell.

This smell is definitely coming from under the tank stand - and it definitely started since I started the CA reactor. Now I'm going to have to fill a glass with effluent, take it somewhere away from the tank, and see if it smells! :)

bob

(edited)

Females... one marks a lot - but it doesn't have an ammonia smell.

This smell is definitely coming from under the tank stand - and it definitely started since I started the CA reactor. Now I'm going to have to fill a glass with effluent, take it somewhere away from the tank, and see if it smells! :)

bob

the cat may have urinated under there if is had a way to go under there, and everyone with cats knows how they like to go in small places. Sometimes cats have specific motives too, like not getting the attention they want, and going in a spot that is related to the reason, for example not getting enough attention and going in the spot that they connect to that lack of attention (for example if I'm gone more than a couple days, one of mine goes in front of the door so I have to cover that area before I go away).

Edited by treesprite

Have you done any parameter checks to see if the cat is low on MG?

I'd check to see if you have a CO2 leak buy taking a soapy water solution and checking all the joints looking for bubbles.

the cat may have urinated under there if is had a way to go under there, and everyone with cats knows how they like to go in small places. Sometimes cats have specific motives too, like not getting the attention they want, and going in a spot that is related to the reason, for example not getting enough attention and going in the spot that they connect to that lack of attention (for example if I'm gone more than a couple days, one of mine goes in front of the door so I have to cover that area before I go away).

Wish it were so simple. This particular cat has marked everything in the house since the day we got her. Rough estimate - $10,000 worth of carpets, furniture, clothes, etc. destroyed. I would have killed it long ago, but my daughter won't let me.

Nonetheless - it never smells of ammonia. It has little scent at all. Just stains really well, and soaks into wood, etc.

I'd check to see if you have a CO2 leak buy taking a soapy water solution and checking all the joints looking for bubbles.

I would have to take a very large blood sample from the cat to check the MG... Might be fatal... Thanks for the idea!

CO2 smells like ammonia? I'll check. Once my ALK gets to where I want it - I will turn off the tank for a day and see if the smell goes away, too.

bob

I would have to take a very large blood sample from the cat to check the MG... Might be fatal... Thanks for the idea!

Perhaps you could use a urine sample. Maybe she has a high level MG which is helping to keep her urine from being really stinky.