Any SCUBA Divers around?

SeanCallan

All the divers I know are located in and around GA/FL so I'm looking for some possible dive buddies up here in the DC area.

I've got my SSI Adv Open Water with specialties: limited visibility/night, deep, nav, boat, photo, and a couple others. Looking to get my nitrox, wreck, and cave certifications this year if anyone else is interested.

I'm up for just about any kind of diving, with the only exception being ice diving, that's too darn cold for me.

Welcome to WAMAS. You'll find that there are quite a few divers here on WAMAS. I used to instruct until two years but still try to do some dives here and there. There is a thread here that DaveS posted about certifying some WAMAS members and doing a trip down to NC for some wreck diving. If you've never dove NC wrecks, I highly recommend it.

Wreck

Welcome to WAMAS. You'll find that there are quite a few divers here on WAMAS. I used to instruct until two years but still try to do some dives here and there. There is a thread here that DaveS posted about certifying some WAMAS members and doing a trip down to NC for some wreck diving. If you've never dove NC wrecks, I highly recommend it.

Wreck

Yeah, I've never been out to the NC wrecks but I've heard great things about them. I'll have to get my WAMAS membership so I can find the thread.

Sean, one more reason why you need to get a paid membership. There was a thread a little while ago in one of the members areas.

Let me use your money. :)

Guest MikeInFredVA

I think you already know the answer to this one. But in case you forgot - No.

when i get back to Fredericksburg i am goingto a place in fredericksburg to get my certification, for diving while down here i'm just doing the snorkeling thing to get familiar with it, cause a good class up here takes a month. I hope to be certified by the time the wreck travels are posted.

Mike

I think you already know the answer to this one. But in case you forgot - No.

Think of it as an investment.

when i get back to Fredericksburg i am goingto a place in fredericksburg to get my certification, for diving while down here i'm just doing the snorkeling thing to get familiar with it, cause a good class up here takes a month. I hope to be certified by the time the wreck travels are posted.

Mike

Awesome! SCUBA is amazing.

All the divers I know are located in and around GA/FL so I'm looking for some possible dive buddies up here in the DC area.

I've got my SSI Adv Open Water with specialties: limited visibility/night, deep, nav, boat, photo, and a couple others. Looking to get my nitrox, wreck, and cave certifications this year if anyone else is interested.

I'm up for just about any kind of diving, with the only exception being ice diving, that's too darn cold for me.

I know of one SCUBA instructor in the club - but I won't pass out her name, don't know if it is general knowledge. But last I heard she was planning to dive into a very cold rock quarry this coming weekend. BBBBBRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr....

bob

PADI Divemaster here. I've supported lots of classes in that quarry, Bob. I recall one Saturday morning when the air temp was 28 degrees and the water was relatively balmy in the low 40's. And there I was, not in a dry suit (like some of the instructors), but enduring the same torture the class was enduring in a wet suit. Think that's bad? Wait until you have to peel the suit off with those cold air temps! Brrrrrrrrr. :scuba:

PADI Divemaster here. I've supported lots of classes in that quarry, Bob. I recall one Saturday morning when the air temp was 28 degrees and the water was relatively balmy in the low 40's. And there I was, not in a dry suit (like some of the instructors), but enduring the same torture the class was enduring in a wet suit. Think that's bad? Wait until you have to peel the suit off with those cold air temps! Brrrrrrrrr. :scuba:

Several hundred dives ... the coldest was probably 77 degrees in Florida. All the rest in 78-80 degree Philippines water.

I don't do COLD!!!

bob

When you're crazy about diving, you'll take what you can get and around here that means cold water. I used to love the look on students' faces when I took them on a deeper dive in the quary, we would hit the thermocline and the temp would go from the 60's to the low 50's and they're eyes would go wide open. Of course I would be in a drysuit, but I'd usually be doing twice as many dives as the students. I did do my first ice dive in a wetsuit as per the tradition, but it wasn't that bad, the second dive felt much colder and I only lasted 5 minutes. Try it you just might like it, it's fun to walk upside down under the ice and try to kick a soccer ball around. This dive talk makes me want to go blow some bubbles. When's the dive trip?

Wreck

Sometimes I wonder why I do (or did).

When you're crazy about diving, you'll take what you can get and around here that means cold water. I used to love the look on students' faces when I took them on a deeper dive in the quary, we would hit the thermocline and the temp would go from the 60's to the low 50's and they're eyes would go wide open. Of course I would be in a drysuit, but I'd usually be doing twice as many dives as the students. I did do my first ice dive in a wetsuit as per the tradition, but it wasn't that bad, the second dive felt much colder and I only lasted 5 minutes. Try it you just might like it, it's fun to walk upside down under the ice and try to kick a soccer ball around. This dive talk makes me want to go blow some bubbles. When's the dive trip?

Wreck

Ah, yes, wreck... you've awakened memories of that "look" - you're feet down, descending and maintaining eye contact to keep the student secure and engaged, then you feel it... a little cool around the calves... the hips... and then ... whoosh... right across the face. The eyes go wide, the cheeks feel stiff, and you bite just a little harder on the mouthpiece. Yep. Fond memories alright.