Unexpected Guest

Clyde

Unexpected Guest? I bought a new zoa and after a day or two, when it was getting warmed up o its new home. I noticed a couple of guest on the rock. First I noticed a couple of small feather dusters, cool. Yesterday I noticed a small tub like structure sticking out from the rock. Small about 5mm, or so in diameter. On closer inspection I could see two antenna poking out from the tube and what seemed like a head(black). I am new to the hobby and thought that somebody might have a clue to what this might be.

Before you ask for a pic I tried and every time I get close it pulls itself back into the tube.

Thanks for any help!

Something else! I just noticed these three long(1cm or so) arms sticking out of a gap in the same coral. white and black stripes. I thought it might be bebris bt when I put my tongs next to them they went back into the gap in the rock. Is this a kind of very small star hiding in my rock/coral. I will try and take pics tonight.

I concur with Garret- If it is in a tube it is probably a snail- but acts more like a tube worm, the two antenae are actually the feet of the Vermetus snaill which fishes for bacteria with its mucous lines- reels them out when the tank is stirred up and then reels it back in to eat.

So, thanks to all. I do in fact have a Brittle Star or should I say Brittle Stars. It seems I have a row house of three stars. I tried to take some pics but they are too small and in a bad angle. Thanks for all the advice!!! :bb:

Unexpected Guest? I bought a new zoa and after a day or two, when it was getting warmed up o its new home. I noticed a couple of guest on the rock. First I noticed a couple of small feather dusters, cool. Yesterday I noticed a small tub like structure sticking out from the rock. Small about 5mm, or so in diameter. On closer inspection I could see two antenna poking out from the tube and what seemed like a head(black). I am new to the hobby and thought that somebody might have a clue to what this might be.

Before you ask for a pic I tried and every time I get close it pulls itself back into the tube.

Thanks for any help!

Hehehe... I can't think of the name of them - but it's a type of tube worm. It will send out 'strands' of silk to try and capture food, and reel them back into its hole.

The black and white 'legs' are from brittle stars. They tend to hide in the rock, and reach their arms out hoping to find food. Neither is harmful. I have a pair of those tube worms that have grown to almost 6" long over the course of a year.

bob