keeping macros in fuge-less tank?

treesprite

Suggestions on how this lady could keep some macros contained in a 20h tank? She won't be using an external fuge.

I can either give this person some caulerpa to roam free potentially becomming a nuisance, or can give her a ball of chaeto which would somehow have to be contained in such a way that little bits of it won't get everywhere.

I would advise Caulerpa, with a weekly trim, to keep it in the sand, but off the rocks (which may not be a problem for a while :) )

As you mentioned, without a great deal of care, Chaeto will end up everywhere...

-R

Sounds like caulerpa in the sand is the best bet then. I'll tell her to try the sand trick as a control. If that red macro in my nano would grow in more than just one "plant" I would give her some of that... it's very pretty and in actually is like the centerpiece in that tank.

Forrest - you can get a strawberry container and place it inside on a corner of the tank and place a rock on top so it doesn't slide around the tank or you can get a breeding mesh container used for housing the fry and place it really close on the top of the tank. PETCO/PETSMART has it for about $3-5

Forrest - you can get a strawberry container and place it inside on a corner of the tank and place a rock on top so it doesn't slide around the tank or you can get a breeding mesh container used for housing the fry and place it really close on the top of the tank. PETCO/PETSMART has it for about $3-5

I just ermembered.... I think I have a 10" hard plastic breeder box at home that I could give to her, which she can hang inside the tank. It's solid with no holes except for the part that inserts into it, so I guess I would need to drill or melt holes into it. The issue then would be that the hanger things are a thin metal, possibly aluminum.... is that going to be a problem?

Forrest,

I have a hangon refugium if she would like to do that. I can ship it to you, free of charge. It's not doing anything and just sit in my basement.

KLee

Forrest,

I have a hangon refugium if she would like to do that. I can ship it to you, free of charge. It's not doing anything and just sit in my basement.

KLee

That would be awesome. Will she need a light for it?

FYI, in case anyone hasn't figured it out, I asking about this for Angie, the client to whom people have been donating items. Also FYI, she does plan on writing a long thankyou to post here. She had some setbacks with the used tank being cracked - Lance gave her another one. Then she finally filled it and the water was cloudy for some reason so she dumped all of it and started over again. I hopefully am remembering correctly who gave what to her. She is extremely appreciative, and surprised that there are such generous and kind people in the world.

I have a little ligth place on top of it that can give to her. Please PM me your home/office address and I'll ship it to you soon.

I have a little ligth place on top of it that can give to her. Please PM me your home/office address and I'll ship it to you soon.

I better ask you first if it will be able to go on a 20 g tank.

I'd rather go with cheato. I've found that it is very easy to keep under control, while calerpa's hold fasts make it very hard to remove.